Catching Up

Eden pulled out a chair and pushed it towards Bob who accepted it pulling it closer so that he sat almost knee to knee with her. His smile was unwavering and Eden couldn't help but smile back. Even after all these years he still had that boyish charm that she had fallen in love with.

"So?" he asked using his hands to accentuate his point like he always did when he was excited. "You never answered my question. How long have you been back in Mirimar?"

"Going on two years now."

"Wow what happened? Didn't't like the hustle and bustle of the big city?"

"No my dad died actually. I moved home to be with mom."

"Oh I'm sorry Eden. How is your mom doing?"

"She's doing better now. She's starting to get back to being herself again."

"And what about you?"

"I'm doing..." she stoped to think for a moment if she was going to lie and say she was fine just for the sake of social niceties, but it was Bob. She has always told Bob everything. Well almost everything. "Honestly I'm not great. I don't know what I'm doing with my life. My mom doesn't need me around all the time anymore but I have no other plans so here I am. Back where I always said I'd never stay."

Eden could tell he was listening intently by the small crinkle above his nose from where his eyebrows furrowed. 

"But anyways enough about me. What about you? Why are you back?" She rushed to change the topic if only to make Bob stop looking at her like she might break at any second. He opened his mouth to speak, closed it, then opened it again, clearly struggling to find the right words to say. He must not have found them because he went along with her shift in the conversation.

"I got called back. A top secret mission of some kind I guess. I'm not to sure honestly, first day on base is tomorrow. I got in and felt the need to head here, I've got some good memories in this place. I guess we all had the same idea, hey?" he said gesturing back out to the busy bar where the rest of the pilots were gathered.

"I guess so," she got sidetracked watching as he started tapping his empty cup in the table in a nervous pattern. It wasn't until his hand slowed to a stop and she realized he was staring back at her that she she jumped up from her chair. 

"I should get back to work. Penny must be getting over-run by now," she reached to grab the empty cup away from him and his smile faltered slightly but she ignored it, walking to the door, holding it open for him to pass through.

"Well what time are you off? I'll stick around until you're done your shift." 

"I'm scheduled for another couple hours."

"We'll definitely still be here. I'm sure everyone would love for you to join us. I saw you were getting aquatinted with Hangman."

Eden listened for any sign of jealousy in his voice, hoping to hear something, but there was nothing. So she smiled, nodding, worried that if she talked he would hear her frustration.

The crowd started to die down, only a few people scattered around and the group of pilots were left in the bar

"Eddie, I've got this covered. You go sign out," Penny said.

"Are you sure? I don't mind staying late."

"Don't be ridiculous. Go be young, hangout with your friends." Her aunt ushered her out from behind the bar. Bob waved her over to join him but the sound of the piano starting up distracted him. Eden was still unsure if she wanted to join him but after seeing him singing and dancing along with his teammate to 'Great Balls of Fire' she couldn't resist.

She approached holding a drink for herself and for Bob and he gratefully took it from her.  In the years since she had seen him he had definitely changed. His uniform was more form fitting now, pulling snugly across his chest and arms, and he no longer folded in on himself like he was embarrassed of his height. He sat down a little too forcefully at the table next to Eden, causing his drink to slosh out of his cup, and just like that Eden was reminded that as much as some things change it was still the same Bob.

"Hey Sweetheart, want to play?" Hangman called from over at the pool table.

"Only if Bob can be on my team," she replied.

Hangman and his friends barely tried to suppress their chuckles.

"Sure baby, whatever you want." 

She leaned in to Bob so that she could whisper in his ear.

"You still remember what I taught you?"

"Give me some credit Eddie, I've been practising. Even won a game of two." 

"Well then, let's win this one." 

She walked over and grabbed the cue from Hangman's outstretched hands. He raised his hands in surrender, stepping back so that she could take up a spot at the head of the table.

"Rack 'em," she nodded to Hangman who obliged with a smirk.

She held the cue out for Bob so he could take the first shot, and met Hangman's smirk with one of her own when Bob managed to sink three of the striped balls. The game ended with Bob sinking the winning shot. 

"Well Bob, looks like I was wrong about you," Hangman said.

Eden hugged Bob who lifted her up into the air spinning her around once. He lowered her back to the floor slowly keeping his arms around her but stepped away once he noticed that his teammates were watching them. 

"Never mind. I continue to be proven right," Hangman quietly but still meant to be heard. Eden chose to ignore him, grabbing her jacket instead.

"Hey Bob, I should probably head out."

"Let me walk you to your car," Bob said.  

Once again she found herself leaning up against her car with Bob standing nearby looking down at her. The irony of the situation was too much, Eden had to bite her lip to stop laughing out loud. Too preoccupied with thinking about a similar night 3 years ago, she didn't notice as Bob leaned in. 

It wasn't until Bob was pulling away from the hug that she realized what happened. Again she found herself in her car as Bob walked back to the Hard Deck, and again she sat there feeling stupid. How did she end up in this position again?