•Chapter 1 - Home Sweet Home•

The liberation of sunshine and fresh air is pure bliss for Dylan as he gazes out the window of his mother's car, the swift breeze is causing his hair to become an unruly mess. He acknowledges that the last month has been terribly difficult for him, recalling those scared, lonely, traumatised thoughts from the jail cell walls surrounding him. He tries to push it to the back of his mind and focus on the car ride as he spots his favourite park in the distance, reminding him of the joyous moments he had playing his music there in the Spring.

"Oh, my Dylan." His mother speaks wholeheartedly as she peers at him through the mirror. "I am just so happy my boy is free at last." She smiles, tears forming in her eyes.

"How does it feel, Mom? Your son is jail broken!" He chuckles proudly, hand on his hip feeling like some badass criminal.

"So long as my son isn't trouble or I'll be sending him straight back." She chuckles as he frowns mockingly. "I have a surprise for you when we get home." She teases mischievously to which Dylan furrows his brows in concern. He wasn't a big fan of surprises, especially after the guest appearance at the scrapyard in which he felt his heart soar to his stomach, so he would be lying if he said he wasn't weary.

"Is it a puppy?" He perks up in excitement at the thought of a fluffy friend. "Come on, it's gotta be a puppy... right?" He pleads hopefully as he clutches onto the carseat in front of him.

"Nope. No puppy." She replies nonchalantly as to not give anything away. He frowns and scoots back into his seat with a sigh. "You'll see soon enough."

•••

The car ride was surprisingly pleasant for Dylan. He finds it freeing to be able to travel again without being locked in a cell. His mother ushers him up the porch of their house as he spots his cat, Schrödinger (named after revolutionary physicist, Erwin Schrödinger) resting upon the windowsill. He grins from ear to ear at the thought of petting him again.

"Alright," His mother begins as she fumbles around her pockets searching for the house key. After finding it, she inserts it into the lock with a deep sigh. "You go wait in the lounge whilst I get your surprise ready." She instructs with excitement and a hint of mischief in her tone.

Dylan rolls his eyes but complies as he hurries into the lounge to see Schrödinger. His resting head raises as he senses Dylan's approach, immediately rising to his paws with a tired little stretch.

"Hey there, buddy." Dylan coos as his eyes grow watery, reaching towards the now frantically purring Schrödinger in front of him. He pats his head and strokes behind his ear with his index finger before he nuzzles his head into his's handless arm. "Oh, so you noticed that, huh?" He chuckles halfheartedly as he holds it upwards. "Don't worry, I still have a hand to pet you with, lil' guy."

It was difficult for Dylan to not mope about his hand, but he always recalls his walk with Kaitlyn to the scrapyard. When he thinks about that moment, he realises that he's very lucky and a lost hand could be much worse. He always regretted not being able to thank Ryan properly for saving him from infection. The events beyond the pool house happened so fast, they barely got a chance to talk about anything before Ryan was leaving with Laura. He worried deeply about never seeing him again and he still worried to this very moment.

Abruptly, he snaps out of his thoughts as he hears footsteps approaching in the hallway. He turns to the noise, still petting Schrödinger and awaits his mother's entrance.

"Well, wanna see your surprise?" She asks enthusiastically whilst bouncing on her heels. Dylan sighs but nods, giving him one last pat before following his mother towards the kitchen.

"Okay, lemme cover your eyes." She insists as she steps behind Dylan, reaching up to the tall boy's face.

"Fine." He groans, shutting them tightly as her hands press against them.

"Alrighty, careful now." She chuckles as they enter the kitchen slowly. "On three... three, two... one!" She exclaims removing her hands swiftly.

Dylan's eyes peel open as he's faced with a person's back. He takes a deep breath before realisation kicks in. That bob of luscious wavy hair he was oh-so familiar with before his very eyes and suddenly, the surprise is turning to face him.

"Hey, Hooky McHook Face."

Overwhelmed with disbelief, Dylan bursts into tears as he leaps towards Kaitlyn to envelop her in a tight hug. His mother watches elated at the thought of her son being home safe.

"K-Kaitlyn... Oh my god." His voice is shaky from crying and breathy from shock. A tear slips down her eye as she holds him tightly, his head resting upon her shoulder as she pats his back.

"Not too tight now, you might crush my ribs." She chuckles wholeheartedly to which Dylan squeezes harder causing her to groan playfully.

"I can't believe you're fucking here, man. It f-feels like it's b-been years." He stutters, voice muffled by her jacket.

She hums in response, more tears welling in her eyes. Dylan soon pulls away to look at her in awe. She chuckles and rolls her eyes fondly.

"I have so much to tell you, you won't even believe it, dude." She smiles as he still stares at her teary eyed.

"Holy balls, this is actually happening."

•••

"So tell me more about everyone, what are they up to?" Dylan asks intrigued as Kaitlyn rests on his bed.

"Shit, where to begin?" She wonders staring at the ceiling lost in thought. Dylan scuffles around his room impatiently, desperate for information. He feels as though he missed out on a millennia.

"Well to start, I know Nick went to visit Abi last week." She began to which Dylan's jaw hung in shock after recalling the pool house. "Let's just say Abi is still really freaked out." She sighs in disappointment and Dylan frowns.

"Did she tell you how it went?" He asks curiously as he plays with the end of his shirt unknowingly.

"Let's just say she doesn't fully trust Nick- I mean it's understandable, but I hope she realises that boy doesn't have a single bad bone in his body." She explains knowing the werewolf curse was causing his aggression.

"Yeah, I get it, man. Can't blame the girl. Guess we'll just have to get them to warm up to each other again, if she's willing of course?" He suggests to which Kaitlyn hums in agreement.

"Oh yeah, that Laura girl managed to save her boyfriend too." She changes the subject swiftly. "Saw them in the news a few days ago."

"Wait, so does that mean...?"

"Yes." She cuts him off abruptly knowing exactly what he's about to ask. "Ryan made it out safely too." She smiles seeing Dylan's eyes light up in amazement.

"Wh-where is he?" He asks hesitantly staring at his feet.

"He's..." She sighs and shakes her head.

"What? What, Kaitlyn?!" He raises his voice unintentionally as he grows worried for the boy he caught feelings for in the Summer.

"He's still in jail." She states with a deep sigh of sorrow.

"Shit. No... we gotta get him out." He insists with determination present in his shaky voice.

"You're right." She agrees with a nod.

"Why is he in there to begin with?" He asks desperate to know more about his situation.

"Ryan was the one who collected as much evidence from the counsellors as he could." She began to which Dylan stared in confusion.

"Isn't that a good thing?" He questions growing angered.

"Yes it is... but Ryan didn't send that evidence to the police." She sighs rubbing her forehead nervously as Dylan glares at her. "He sent it to the podcast." His eyes widened in disbelief as he pieced together the podcast's involvement with the investigation.

"But they basically helped me get out of jail, why is Ryan still locked up?" He asks in frustration tugging at his hair.

"That part I'm unsure of, but they have to let him go soon, right?" She replies hopefully.

"We gotta go see him."