Fixing Scars Barry/Kara

Start from the beginning

"She has dreams."

"She's too unpredictable, she wants magic and science together, that's not gonna work."

She rolls her eyes at that. It didn't deter her attraction to Lena though. 

Barry smiles.

She's not sure if it's the adrenaline crash or the pure relief she feels when she sees him smile, he didn't criticize her, he didn't look at her with disgust or laugh at her. He's still the same goofy dingus he always was, and she's thankful for that.

Their hands somehow find each other, and unlike the first time where they separated in shock, they keep their fingers laced, until the door bursts open and Cisco and Alex walk in.  

"Okay, what the hell?" Alex muttered.

"Just here, chilling," Barry said tiredly.

"In the bathroom of a Big Belly Burger?"

"We had to throw up, sorry," Kara said, forcing herself upright.

"I know it's been a hard day, but the work is not done, we need to do search and rescue," Alex ordered.

"Right on, director," Kara held a thumb up.

...

It's been a year since the Appellaxians . Since that... thing

And since Lena dumped her.

Many nights Kara fights in her sleep, she'd lay awake with moist cheeks and matted hair. She'd always curse or punch the air with a strangled yell as she lay awake in the early morning hours. She doesn't care if anyone heard her, but even still... Nobody is there.

She works off of 4 hours of sleep and the cup of coffee Barry thankfully never forgets to bring her. Ever since he moved to National City in order to pursue a career as a private investigator along Ralph Dibny, Kara has been grateful for his time. 

When they met at work during her break she'd notice him staring at her, his hazel eyes silently questioning her.

She flashes him a smile, a sign that she's okay— a flat out lie.

 Because of course he knew.

He knew about the things they had to go through last year. He knows about the Appellaxians , the needles, the blood. How they infiltrated the DEO and even STAR Labs. He knew everything, and yet they never acted on it. The stares, the jokes, the insults, the smiles and smirks. The lies that fooled everyone else; but not him

Many nights she would just sit, head in hands. The moonlight showing through the window of her bedroom, the only light that's available. Her hair glowed with the light, but inside, she was not glowing.

Sometimes she'd never get sleep, she sometimes went days without sleeping. She punched a wall and almost made a whole building collapse when a very frustrated Smapper Carr threatened to fire her.  

It was now 3 A.M.

She had woken up again, Kara looked out the window. The sky was tar-black and the large clouds were looming over the city. She heard a tapping on the window and then it became a pitter-patter. The sound of concrete and water became its own beat as the clouds cried out rivers of water. Puddles began forming as the rainfall became angrier, more intense. The roofs of the neighboring cars pitter patter with the rain and she could hear the trickle of the rain through the window. 

Normally she'd walk around the block to clear her head. Take a stroll in the park, sit on a bench...

Kara doesn't know how she ends up on his roof, in front of his window. She doesn't know why she knocks, resting her head on the glass. Through the heavy rain she hears the shuffle of his covers, his soft footsteps coming towards the window, the clicks of the locks. 

Kara Danvers was never easily rattled but tonight she felt defeated.

It's only until Barry opens the window he sees how drenched she is. Her cape is completely drenched in water and her hair is damp. He pulls her inside with a worried look on his face, and before she had a chance to say anything he hugs her, his face buried into her wet hair, his shirt tickling the side of her face. 

His name is muffled by his shirt and the hiccups that jolted her smaller frame. Fingers claw at his shirt trying to impossibly pull him closer, to anchor herself to him. Kara let out a few desperate sobs as she clinged onto Barry for dear life.  

She would be lying if she said her heart didn't stutter when he looked at her with a soft smile that only Barry could muster and dipped so just to kiss her gently. She would be lying if she said she had felt something more holy than the softness of his lips against hers. You're safe, he says in so many ways.

"You're safe," Barry murmured

She justifies herself, through the kisses they fervently exchange. She likes girls, like Lena.

But the way he cups her face, traces the fading dots of her freckles with his thumbs, lets his forehead rest against hers. 

She likes this too.

His hands find her lips, his touch is soft— real. His thumb gently gracing over her pink flesh. She feels like she needs him in more ways than one, to be here, now; not in a nightmare.

Every time she looks at Barry she pictures his battered face, the puff of his left eye, the bloodiness of his nose, the cut on his bottom lip. Her thoughts are cut off by his lips pressing softly to hers, bringing her back to the present. Back to him. 

His body is warm against hers and months of aching make themselves known, her heart pounded behind her ribs.

She feels like she needs this. Barry being okay, letting her know that she's okay. Reassuring her that they're okay.

Her heart nearly implodes when his lips find hers again, they're feverish and gentle all at once, and she finds safety again. He kneels, with his face pressed against her stomach, steadying his breaths against the wetness of her suit. His hands whisper urgent promises onto her body, and delivers, with oaths spoken into her skin, against her lips, spilled across the cotton sheets she knows he has taken care to keep fresh.

He makes her dress in one of his shirts and a pair of sleeping shorts. 

"Ralph is down stairs, so you can sleep with me, he's crashing the couch, I would've probably slept on the couch knowing you would be coming here but uh, Ralph is a pig," Barry joked. 

Kara silenced him with a kiss to his lips.

"I can sleep with you."

Barry smiled and they laid down together. Kara laid her head on the crook of his neck as Barry wrapped his arms around her frame. 

"You're gonna be fine, Kara."

"I hope so," She murmured.

They heard a knock at the door. 

"Hey Allen, I heard the window open, is everything all right?" Ralph asked.

"Yeah Ralph, must've been the wind," Barry echoed.

"Yeah, the wind right?" Ralph asked lightly amused. 

"Yes."

"Right Allen, breakfast for 3 tomorrow morning then?" Ralph asked.

"Pancakes please, Ralph, extra fluffy," Kara spoke up.

Ralph chuckled.

"Of course Miss Danvers," He said in a fancy voice.

THE END...