𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘬 10 : 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘶𝘯𝘤𝘩 𝘶𝘱 - 𝘋𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴

𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘺𝘪𝘯𝘨 : 𝘿𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙢𝙨 𝙗𝙮 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝘾𝙧𝙖𝙣𝙗𝙚𝙧𝙧𝙞𝙚𝙨

⇆ㅤ ||◁ㅤ❚❚ㅤ▷||ㅤ ↻

01:06 ━━⬤──── 04:05

Monroe didn't know what it was about men but it seemed that just at the drop of a hat they were willing to beat the shit out of each other.

She couldn't really talk, having gotten into multiple fist fights herself but at least she had had valid reasons for her punches. A racist comment, a sexist comment, a nasty comment about her outfit. Each instance ending with her throwing hands.

But when it came to Rooster and Hangman's near fist fight she thought they had looked like imbeciles. Now she understood where Rooster was coming from, if  anyone had mentioned her mom she would have slapped them into next Sunday but what she didn't understand was why he had to do it in front of their superior and the rest of their teammates.

Get him behind the hanger on his walk home you amateur.

Monroe had looked at him with a look of warning. Her hand on his chest. The little strength that she had applied causing him to take a slight step back. His face had softened when she had stepped in front of him but his eyes were still angry. Shaking her head Monroe mouthed her four words of wisdom before stepping away from him and walking out of the hanger.

"He's not worth it."

Rooster had followed her quickly.

Maverick had let them go, his eyes curiously watching them from a far.

They had settled in the base parking lot, sitting on the back of Rooster's truck Monroe studied his expression. He looked calmer now, the rising of his chest slowing, his face loosing its reddish pigmentation.

"What you just did isn't ok."

Starting off your attempt at comfort by berating him. Well done Monroe.

"You would have done the same thing if he said what he said to you."

"Never said I wouldn't have."

They sat in silence. He looked at the parking lot in front of him. She looked at him. For once their positions had changed. She was looking at him.

It had been a quick but painful realisation for Monroe that she couldn't solve this one by trying to make him laugh with a sarcastic joke about something like how terrible Hangman's hair was. She had to show some semblance of emotion, empathy. She felt slightly nauseous at the thought.

"You know when my mom died all I wanted to do was bash Maverick's head in."

Rooster turned to look at her, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.  Wow Monroe. Exposing your trauma in order to try and relate to someone else's. Great idea.

Monroe figured it was too late to go back now so she just continued, "He just wasn't there y'know?" She couldn't look at him right now, turning her head to face the parking lot he had been facing a few seconds prior she started up again. "He was never there and that was fine. My mom was the best parent anyone could have. She was a captain in the army. A fighter pilot herself. She was my hero, I didn't need him, but when she died I was alone... And y'know when you're alone you start to remember all the other times you were alone and soon I realised that I did need him and that he knew that yet he still was never there."

Rooster listened carefully. He had known her his entire life yet he had never heard her be this forward with talking about her life, her mom. He appreciated her honesty and the fact that she trusted him with this information didn't fail to make his heart pulsate. Monroe didn't know what the fuck she was doing but she guessed there was no taking back what she had already said. Might as well deal with it.

"So I started to resent him and even now no matter how hard he tries I still resent him. He left me when I needed him most and that will never not hurt, even if I decide to forgive him one day."

Finally deciding to tear her eyes away from the tarmac she faced him head on. Chocolate meeting chocolate. He looked at her with an intensity that didn't fail to scare her, but not because he scared her but because of what she felt when he looked at her. Monroe shook her head at that thought, bringing herself back to the point of this entire conversation.

"The point is it will never stop hurting but I need to learn to get pass it before it consumes me. Before your hurt consumes you. Your dad's memory will continue to live on but if you focus on the bad parts you will begin to forget all of the good ones. "

She looked at him with a sadness he had never seen before.

"Don't tarnish your father's memory with your hate Bradley. Don't do what I did."

Nodding slightly he stayed quiet, his eyes still fixated on her face, his hand finding its place on her cheek.

"Money I didn't know you felt-"

Moving out of his grasp and down from the truck Monroe smiled at him sadly. She was shocked to learn that she didn't regret sharing that part of her life with him. It had made him feel better. That had made her feel better. She just couldn't have his hand on her cheek. It had felt like molten lava stinging her skin. She couldn't get hurt again. She couldn't be alone again. It was easier to push those away than to keep them near and loose them later.

"Don't worry about it Roost I'll live."

He looked up at her from his place on the truck. His body unmoving. He knew that his palm on her cheek had scared her. Had made her feel something, and despite how happy it made him feel to know that he could actually make her feel something it hurt to see her push him away. He knew why. He had patience. He would wait.

Didn't make it sting less though.

Nodding his head in resignation he got up off the back of the truck, his arm wrapping around her shoulders, that mischievous grin placed back upon his lips. She grinned up at him as well. Her eyes rolling at the feeling of his hand tickling the back of her neck.

"Stop it fur face before I deck you."

There she was.

"Alright alright I surrender."

She snorted as his hands raised in the air in a medieval gesture resembling that of a knight loosing their battle. Idiot.

"What do you think training is gonna be like tomorrow?" She asked as they continued walking.

"I don't know, heard Maverick talking about a beach to Hondo earlier. Maybe breathing training under water?" He replied.

Monroe huffed.

"I literally just washed my hair!" She groaned.

He chuckled, "I wouldn't be worried about that."

"It takes two hours to do Rooster! You should be worried!"

He only laughed in reply.