Hurt Feelings

Anthony was in a wedding, it wasn't his. He was in the audience on what would be the bride's side. Terry took the seat next to him.

"You let her get away, Anthony," he said.

"Who?" Anthony said, confused.

"Told you, you wouldn't make it to four years." Terry said shaking his head.

"What are you talking about?" Anthony said getting annoyed.

A tall man took the spot of the groom. Later, the band started to play and bridesmaids and groomsmen walked the aisle when Anthony noticed Alexis was among them.

"What is she doing here?" Anthony whispered.

Terry hissed at him to be quiet. When the music changed to a soft, harmonious melody, everyone stood up from their seats. Everyone turned to see Rayna in a beautiful white gown that made her look like an absolute goddess. Anthony's heart stopped when he put everything together. He took too long so, she found someone else that wouldn't.

"She loved you Anthony. She really did but, you just weren't ready I guess. She had to move on because you couldn't move forward." Terry said.

"No, she can't...she can't get married." Anthony said with tears forming in his eyes.

"Rayna had every right to move on. You had so many chances, so many opportunities. Just accept you lost her." Terry said.

"No, I love her too much to let her go." Anthony said.

"Too little, too late." Terry said.

Anthony was forced to watch the ceremony. He was tortured by the image of her marrying someone else. Someone that clearly did a better job than him. Rayna looked so happy. That was the same happiness he gave her when they were together. Anthony knew he had only himself to blame.

Anthony jumped out of his sleep. He groaned as he rubbed her temples. That dream felt too real. He didn't want that to be a reality. There was no excuse why they shouldn't get married. Rayna was a perfect fit. He thanked God everyday for because; clearly He made Rayna just for him. True, any man could have her but, Anthony was the lucky one. She'd wait for him. She gave him everything and more. That was more than enough.

He heard the stories about other athletes and their relationships. The women that after a few months cut and run. The others that were smart and waited years then took most of they had including their love. He never heard the ones that were actually truthful. The ones that were there to the end. Rayna had to be it. So, he'd marry her.

Anthony got on the phone and asked to meet with a custom jeweler so he can make the most gorgeous ring for his woman. He wanted it to be perfect but, it couldn't outdo what would be her wedding ring. Either way, Rayna was going to Mrs. Anthony Steele.

Teenie came into the room, whimpering.

"What's wrong?" Anthony said petting her. Teenie walked but out the room, heading towards Rayna's office. Anthony followed. Teenie was scratching on the door. Anthony pushed the double doors to the side and saw Rayna crying in the computer chair. She looked at him with red, puffy eyes. Anthony walked in and kissed her softly. He pulled her out of the seat, sat down and pulled Rayna into his lap. He grabbed a tissue off the desk and wiped her tears.

"Tell me what's wrong." He said softly.

"My dad pulled a favor at the hospital. Since we can't see Ben we can at least send letters." She said.

"I know how much he means to you, Ray. I know you want him to get better. You're homesick and I know you feel responsible for him. I want him to get better to so I can see you happy." Anthony said.