History Pt. 1

Marian had come home from a long day at work and she still had to make dinner. Her husband, Allen, wouldn't be home until later. With 3 kids to take care of there wasn't enough hours in a day. She felt hot but got cold shakes nearly every five minutes. She was short of breath, felt weak in the knees. It was hard to keep herself going.

Anthony ,about 8 years old, came in the house from the backyard with his older brother, Allen Jr.

"Hey mama" Anthony said.

"Hey baby" Marian said tired. She wobbled over to them and kissed her sons.

"You don't look so good, mom." Allen said.

"I'll have better days, honey." she sighed going back to the kitchen. "Did you two finish your homework?"

"Yes, ma'am." Anthony said.

"Uncle Greg called." Allen said.

"Yeah. He was...he is uh" Marian started to lose her breath.

The cause of her being ill had to be her jumping right into work after the rough delivery of the the most recent baby girl, Kendall.

"Mom, you need to rest." Allen said.

"No, no, no. Mom's fine. I just need to get my thoughts together." Marian said leaning against the fridge.

"Mama, are you ok?" Anthony whimpered. Anthony ,at such a young age, watched his parents work so hard. He hated seeing his mother come home so tired and so weak to where she couldn't even function.

Marian was about to answer when Kendall started crying from the other side of the house.

Marian whined and slowly started for the baby. "No. Mom let me get her." Allen said. Allen was only 14 and he would always step in to do what had to be done when his dad wasn't home. He was in charge of taking care of Anthony and Kendall, picking them up from school and daycare, making sure the house didn't turn into a zoo while Marian and Allen Sr. were away.

"No, AJ. Just go back outside with your brother." Marian said.

"No, mom. Sit down." AJ said, holding her back.

"No, there's too much to do." she sighed.

"Mama, please..."Anthony whimpered. Marian took one look and Anthony had her heart cried.

"Ok. Just a few minutes." Marian said.

Marian laid down on the couch. Allen put Kendall to rest. Anthony watched as his mother whimpered and turned in her sleep. Allen came into the room.

"Anthony, go in your room. Color or something." Allen ordered.

"Is mom going to be ok?" Anthony said.

Allen sighed. "Go in your room."

Allen got his dad on the phone. "Hello?"

"Dad. Mom isn't doing so good."AJ said.

"Jesus...ok. I'm on my way home. Call your Aunt Emma."Allen Sr. said.

"Ok." AJ said before hanging up.

A little over two hours later, Anthony came out to see his mother still on the couch sleeping and sweating. His aunt had put dinner on the table. "Come eat, sweetie." she said. Allen was waiting at the table. Anthony went to sit at the table.

"Is mom ok?" he asked.

"Eat your food." Allen said.

The next day, after a long walk from the school, Anthony and Allen came in to see their dad rocking Kendall.