12 | i didn't know you had a sister

Start from the beginning

A crash behind us.

I reacted quicker than he did, but for different reasons. Avery pushed against a door with the speed of a striking viper and then we were inside a tight room, silent. My back brushed the wall as Avery pulled my body tight against his. I could feel his defined stomach through his thin, barely buttoned, loose shirt. It was the type of linen shirt wealthy boys wore.

"Why are we hiding?" he mumbled over me, my head resting in the crook of his neck. 

"Fuck if I know," I muttered back, flinching as footsteps followed. Tentatively, with much hesitating, I wrapped my arms around him. "You reacted first. Now we're stuck in here because we can't exactly yell surprise, now can we?"

Avery smirked. "You aren't complaining about this position."

"Oh shut up."

I wondered if he could hear my heart beat. His breath became ragged as we listened.

"That hurt, Blake!" A feminine voice, Helen's, whined. 

Blake snapped back at her, annoyed, "Shut up. It's not my fault you can't fucking walk in a straight line."

"I couldn't see. I put on a flashlight now, didn't I?" 

"You tripped over a fucking chair." Blake muttered. Avery was shaking a little and it took me a moment to realize he was trying not to laugh. "Come on. Let's get off this plane."

Helen was silent a moment. "You know I hate heights, Blake."

Blake ignored her. "We're taking the parachutes so no one else will be able to leave without breaking their necks. They'll have to wait until the plane lands at the airport and you know how far that is." 

"We can't just leave Gloria-"

"Gloria drank half her weight just because she was jealous!" Blake yelled and I heard a slam. I flinched and then cursed myself for doing that because now, I could feel Avery's curiosity at my reaction. 

When it was silent, I heard Blake sigh again. He lowered his voice and tone.

"She won't wake until the plane lands, baby. Don't worry."

"Someone should still wake her up," Helen insisted, her voice cracking. 

What a toxic relationship.

"Who?" Blake only let out a snort of derision. "Mason and Kalina haven't left their cabin. Cole already left through the other exit of the plane but we still have a chance."

"What about Satin? Has she arrived? And the others?"

Oddly, I felt Avery freeze at the mention of Satin. Something in the way his breathing pattern changed made me think it gutted him to hear her say that name.

Satin. She meant something to him. 

"I don't know," Blake grunted, starting to unlock the exit of the jet.

"What about Avery?" Helen continued to pester. 

Blake paused. "You better be glad that bitch made him fall asleep otherwise we'd have already lost. Even Satin didn't have that effect on him."

Avery's grip tightened on me but I wasn't paying attention to Blake's insult. I was focused on  the other word he said.

Lost.

As if this were...

"A game," I said quietly in realization to Avery. "This is a game and it has already started, didn't it?"

Avery didn't look as if he had been affected by Satin anymore. "You already know the answer. Why else would you have grabbed two parachutes?"

He was right. The moment Avery had asked if he trusted me, I knew. There was no other possibility. We would be jumping off of the plane. A plane. All to escape, which was why I was so afraid.