1. The beginning

The air felt stagnant as I took in my first inhale of Apocrypha. Everything about the place seemed wrong, from the piles of spiralling books to the rippling of the surface of what I could only assume was not water to the complete and utter monotony of the vast expanse of the realm. And there looking directly at me on the other side of a black pool was the golden mask that plagued my nightmares. Miraak.

"So we meet again Dragonborn, it took you long enough." he said as he flicked an invisible piece of dust from his shoulder plate.

"I think you are seriously overestimating yourself Miraak."

A dark laugh erupted from the back of his throat at that and he replied "Fine then, it shouldn't take long to shout your flesh from your bone."

I swear I could hear a smirk lacing his voice. "We'll see about that." I unsheathed my dagger and ran straight for him whilst shouting the dragon aspect shout. I sliced my blades through the air, him dodging the blows with a ward.

"Young Dragonborn, I cannot believe it has taken you this long for you to finally try to kill me." He rasped as he shot lightning at me.

"What makes you think I am here to kill you?" I replied struggling for breath as my stamina ebbed away.

"You aren't here to kill me?" He said his voice slightly off from his usual sly tone as he came at me with is sword also shouting dragon aspect.

"No, of course not. You are just getting in the way, I'm actually here for Mora. You would be to easy to kill anyway."

Even though his face was covered by that horrid mask I could see that he was slightly taken aback by that but his fighting was even more fierce as he slashed with his sword. I dodged but it was the tentacles I didn't see and was hit by a withering mass of them that threw me to the floor.

"To easy for you now young Dragonborn, perhaps I should go easy on you." He said as I rose to my feet readying my daggers once more.

"Finally you are putting up a good fight."

It was a lie, deep down I knew that we were equals with our power, it all came down to how we used it.

"Young Dragonborn, here I was thinking that we were to be the greatest of rivals, that our fight would be one not seen for centuries but it seems that you don't even think I'm worth it."

I ran at him again, this time diving with my daggers ahead of me towards his face. As I collided my daggers found their mark and smashed the mask as if it were glass and then I was falling. We landed on the ground and rolled slightly until I was on top of him. My daggers still in hand I placed them against his neck and moved my knees so they were pressing into his arms so he could not move.

Looking up at me was a male with midnight black hair and eyes the colour of charcoal. His face was pale but seemed like it once had a tan to it. There was blood running down his nose from where my daggers broke his mask and there was a look in his eyes as if he had just seen the world clearly. All of a sodden I felt a blinding white light shoot through me like a hot poker, it was not pain.

"What did you do?" I could see a similar expression on his face as I felt on mine.

"What did I do? What did you do?" I scrambled back off him, bumping into the edge the pool, and I grabbed my daggers to defend myself from what he might do.

He began to sit up but as he did I saw that blinding light in my head again but now there were flashes of images. A golden bat wing. A teardrop running through a bloodied face. A green mask. A stab wound. A silver ring.

You were brought back by the sound of Hermaeus Mora. The tentacle eye was hovering by the entrance surrounded by Seekers. "Well, well, well, would you look at this. My champion and my slave have been fighting. Well, I suppose it doesn't really matter does it, being that you were going to escape Miraak. And you were going to kill me."

I looked to where Miraak sat leaning against one of the towers of books. He didn't seem that different now with the mask off. I realised then that the four shards of mask were on the floor right next to me so I carefully slid them into my satchel. They felt oddly cold as if they were pulling the heat from my hands. I looked back across to where Miraak was sitting and saw that he was watching me, watching steal the remains of his mask.

"Hmmmm, I sense something else going on here, oh well I guess it won't matter soon." The Seekers started to move closer, almost surrounding us there were so many.

I rose to my feet, my bag slightly heavier with the mask.

"You'll soon be dead." The slimy Seekers turned hostile and began to shoot at us with the glowing orbs they were so fond of. All of a sodden, before I even realised Miraak was on his feet next to me, sword raised and surprisingly not pointing towards me but towards the Seekers. He placed a sort of spherical ward around us to stop the orbs.

"What are you doing?" I shouted over the noise.

"You want to live, don't you?" He shouted back. I  conjured, a magic bow and began shooting through the ward.

"So what now dummy, now we are trapped?" I yelled.

A frustrated look passed over his features, "Just...how did you get here?" He questioned.

"Black book, but only one of us can go back." I reached into my bag and held the black book in my hands, the cover almost slimy in texture.

Just as I was about to open it Miraak grabbed my arm. "You don't think you are just going to leave me here do you, young Dragonborn?" he snapped. He snatched the book off me with one hand and grabbed my arm with the other. He then shouted at the book, a shout I had never heard before.

Before I knew it, I could feel the tentacles reaching out of the book and pulling me back into Solstheim, but this time I could feel Miraak, still gripping my arm, his hand lightly calloused against my bare skin and being pulled with me.

Finally, I  felt my feet hit solid ground and I collapsed onto the sandy ash coated floor of Solstheim. I dug my hands into the sand just to feel texture that was not slime. As I rose to my feet I saw the black book a few feet away almost smoking in the greyish sunlight. Bending down I picked it up and as I did I looked to the side only to see an unconscious Miraak lying in the sand.

A/N: DUN DUN DUN. Miraak escaped and unconscious. Sooo much drama. Was writing this at probably 1 in the morning, so there may have been some errors. Tell me what you thought of chapter one, i'd love to know. Also don't forget to vote. BYEEEE