Friend

Ivys pov

The door to the basement slammed open with a large bang, making me flinch. "Are you going to school or not?! I don't want a call from them saying you aren't there or about your iNjUrIes!" My father yells down the stairs at me.

I hear his feet stomping away from the basement and slowly push against the wall into the standing position. I head to my room to change clothes. I change clothes and start a load laundry that'll I finish sometime. And leave this heck hole for the next.

I walk out to the bus stop.  And slide on just before it leaves. The bus stops by the school, dropping me and a few others off. I make my way inside, slowing dying from pain, and find Audrey standing at my locker waiting for me.

"Oh hey," she waves," I was just about to text you."

Wheres my money? I sign evily.

"Have a bad night?" She asks voice dropping low.

No, well maybe. Yes. Shes the only one that knows about my father. I trust her with my life. Sometimes when he gets really bad, she let's me stay with her. She even learned sign language just for me. Shes an amazing friend, I couldnt ask for better.

She gives me a hug, making me flinch. "Come on, bathroom with you. We're fixing you up." And she practically drags me to the bathroom.

She leads me in a stall so no one can see me. And takes a first aid kit out of her bag. See amazing friend.

She has me take off the hoodie covering the marks. And starts cleaning them with a alchohol wipe. After a few minutes shes done. She flips her dyed blue hair out of her, beautiful, grey eyes.

"All done. Let's get to class." She says patting my knee. "Oh and, I'm not giving you that money till I get a picture of you and an Avenger dude."

I smile and we head to class.

____________________________________

The bell goes off, signaling the start of lunch. I dart towards the cafeteria, I make my way to the table me and Aud normally sit at. A few minutes later she drops her lunch tray across from me and looks at the empty space infront of me with concern.

She looks around making sure no one could hear before saying "No money again?"

None. I sign with a sigh.

"Well now I feel kinda mean for not giving you the money." She says pulling out 5 dollars and places it in my hand." Eat Ivs, I'm not having you starve to death on my watch."

I look at the paper that holds so much value. I look up at her with eyes that ask more than my hands. I dont know what I ever did to deserve her.

I quickly stand up and walk over to the lunch line, blending in to the ongoing traffic of children so I dont get in trouble. I get in line and grab my food and pay, leaving any extra money I have to my account.(I dont know if that's how other schools do it, but thats how mine does it.)

I get back to Audrey sitting in my original seat. Thank you. And I start eating.

After a few minutes of silence Audrey says "Would you be able to get a job? You could ask your father and see if he'll let you. And when they ask your availability just say every other day, so you can still do your tutoring. And you'd get money for at least lunch."

And if he agreed I could use it as a lie for where I'm at with my tutoring. That's genius. Dont know why I didnt think about it before.

"Because you arent me." She smirks.

____________________________________

With a deep breath, I slowly open the door, hoping with everything in me that my father isnt home. He's not immediately at the door. I creep through the house searching for him. For once, luck is on my side.

I write a note and place it on the dining room table.

Hello, so I've been thinking about getting a job. I could earn money, and I'd be out of your hair more.
                                           -Ivy

I went up to my room, grateful not to gain more wounds, yet at least. I sit on my bed and lean against the wall. I sit there for a minute before deciding to text Furry and see what their deal is.

Furry

PoisonIvy
Hey you!👋🏻
Yes you!👉
Furry~ I'm talking to you☹
FURRYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Furry
Shut. Up.

PoisonIvy
No thanks I'll pass😌 I hardly get to talk alllll day! So ya

Furry
Why do you hardly get to talk? Dont you have to answer questions in school?

PoisonIvy
Err well
No one can understand me, they didnt bother getting a translator because my father wont pay for one and no matter how hard I try... I- why am i telling you this, you're a stranger

Furry
You seem to speak english well enough, why do you need a translator?

PoisonIvy
It's not me, it's the teachers😕 I'm mute, so I use sign language. And I cant speak, I've tried, my vocal cords have given up.

Furry
Sorry about that.

PoisonIvy
Not your fault, and it's fine my friend learned it so I'm not totally alone😄
Anyways onto a less depressing topic
WHO ARE YOU? WHO DO YOU WORK FOR? WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME? DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? ARE YOU A SPY? ARE YOU SPYING ON ME?

Furry
Kid we've covered this already. I work for me. I dont want nothin from you, I was just tryna get some people in a meeting. Some kid? No. Also no.

PoisonIvy
Ok good enoug- wait😱 you could be lying! I DONT BELIEVE YOU!😤😤

Furry
You. Are exhausting.

PoisonIvy
I try my best😌
Oop fathers home
Bah bah👋🏻👋🏻👋🏻

Furry
Bye.

I rush down stairs, meeting my father. He holds up the paper. "You want a job?"

I nod.

"Maybe you can be useful." He smiles an evil smile. "Find a job, I want half your earnings, you will use the rest to pay bills. Are we clear?"

I nod again, knowing he hates when I sign.

"You're dismissed." He says, waving me off.

I walk back up the stairs, and get ready to help the city.

Word count:1084