Finally

Benny was taking the trash out and it was just me and his dad in his room. It was kind of awkward until he broke the silence.

"So" he started "you Benny's girlfriend?" he continued.

"Oh uh, no" I answered.

"Are you Addison?" he asked.

I nodded in response.

He chuckled softly and shook his head.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I laughed slightly.

"Oh, nothin" he answered.

Benny came back in and looked between his dad and me.

"If she's not your girlfriend then why is she wearing your clothes? And why did she sleep over? In your bed?" he questioned.

I and Benny looked at each other and back at his father.

"Long story," we said in unison.

"Sandlot?" Benny looked at me.

"Yup" I nodded and we walked out.

Benny was already dressed, I just needed to sneak into my window and change into some of my clothes. We walked across the street and I climbed to my window. Benny waited in the yard. I opened my window after checking that no one was in there and hopped in. I hurried up and got changed, grabbed Bennys hat, and climbed back down.

(the fit but with bennys hat)

The whole day I just kept thinking about telling Benny the truth. What if he didn't like me back? What if I fuck up the friendship? What if-

Some of the boys were yelling my name which brought me back to reality.

"Addy!"

"Go get the ball!"

"Bennys going to hit home!!"

"Hurry!"

They all yelled. I looked behind me and ran to the baseball. I turned around lined up my throw and threw it as hard as I could toward Squints who was positioned at short stop. He caught it and tagged Benny before he could slide to third. There was a sigh of relief from some of the boys and a groan from Benny. Today he was a little off his game. I get that I have been too, but I have a reason that has to do with Benny.

We all jogged toward the dugout for a break and a few drinks of water. I sat next to DeNunez and Benny sat next to me.

"What's up with you Benny?" DeNunez started

"Yeah yeah, you've been off your game all day Benny man" Yeah yeah continued.

He sighed and leaned his head up against the wood and closed his eyes.

"Just have a lot on my mind, that's all" he answered.

If Benny has a lot on his mind, maybe I shouldn't tell him tonight. It'll mess up my plan but his mental health is more important. I waited for the rest of the boys to head out of the dugout before me and Benny so I could talk to him. He was about to leave until I grabbed his arm and pulled him back.

"You ok?" I asked.

"Yeah" he breathed.

"You can always talk to me y'know" I stated.

"Yeah, I know." he let out.

"So what's going on?" I asked.

He looked into my eyes and breathed out. His eyes were beautiful.

Benny's POV:

You. You are what's going on Addy. You drive me insane and I want to tell you I love you but I don't know if you feel the same way. I want to kiss you underneath the fireworks tonight. I want to hold you in my arms every night. I want to be the one who keeps you safe. I want to be your safe place.

Obviously, I can't tell her that. I looked into her eyes. Her eyes were beautiful. I couldn't tell her the truth so I made up an excuse.

"Uhm...my parents sold my grandma on eBay." I let out.

What the hell Benny. That's the worst excuse ever. Now she's going to know somethings up.

Stupid stupid stupid.

Addison's POV:

"Your parents...? sold your grandma......? On..eBay..?" I said slowly.

What the hell was he on about. Was this supposed to be his idea of an excuse?

He chuckled nervously and scratched the back of his neck.

"I'll tell you the truth tonight...ok?" he walked out of the dugout.

"Ok" I let out.

It was finally night. The sun was going down and there was only a glimpse of light left in the sky. The fireworks would go off any moment now and I couldn't wait.

Benny hit the ball and it went flying. The fireworks started and everybody stopped paying attention to the game and instead on the fireworks, except Benny. I walked in front of his path to third base which made him stop and look down at me.

"I need to tell you something." my voice was shaky and so were my hands.

"Yeah, what's up?" he said, panting from the running.

"Well I-...I don't know how to tell you. So..can I just..show you?" I said slowly.

"Uh, I guess" he answered.

I breathed deeply and walked up closer to him. I put my hands behind his neck and pushed my lips against his. He grabbed my waist with one hand and my cheek with the other.

Oh my God.

I was screaming on the inside. I'M KISSING BENNY RODRIGUEZ AHHHH.

I pulled away from the kiss but he kissed me back. I'm guessing he felt the same way then.

"WOOOOOOO"

"GO BENNY!!"

"FINALLY!"

"WOOP WOOP!"

The boys yelled and cheered which made us both smile against each other's lips.

"I really really like you" he whispered while putting his forehead against mine.

"Me too" I laughed.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" He chuckled.

"Yes," I laughed quietly.

He kissed me again and then we both finally pulled away.

Finally.