The phone call

Trigger warning:

‼️⚠️MENTION OF DEATH⚠️‼️

I wiggled out of Bennys grip and my sadness was replaced with anger. I ran out of the dugout and out of the sandlot. I just kept running and running.

Until I got there.

The truck was parked on the side of the road and there were cops everywhere. I saw an ambulance and immediately ran up to it. Tears ran from my eyes as I looked at my dad's limp body on the stretcher, unresponsive.

"Are you the daughter?" a cop asked beside me.

I nodded.

"What happened? Who did this?" I said through tears.

"Your father was hit by a car. It was a hit and run. He has several major injuries and is currently unresponsive but we're still trying." he stated.

Benny ran up beside me as the cop walked away. I grabbed onto him and squeezed the back of his shirt in balled fists. He hugged me tightly and watched my dad get carried into the back of the ambulance.

"He's.. he's gone, Benny..." I cried into his chest.

"Shh, hey, it's going to be fine. He's going to be fine," he reassured me.

I just continued to cry into his white wife-beater shirt and jersey covering it.

Flashback to the phone call~

"Yes, dad?" I asked over the phone.

"Addison...it's grandma..your dad..he...he was hit by a car and is unresponsive.." my grandma said over the phone.

My eyes grew wider and dropped my phone. My eyes filled up with tears as I covered my face with my hands.

Back to the present~

It's been a week since my dad died. I haven't gone to the sandlot, I don't go out of my room, I feel numb. My dad was the only thing I had left. I still have my grandma, but it's not the same. Benny comes through my window every night so I don't feel like I'm all alone in this tragic time. I lay in bed, stairing at my ceiling. Benny knocked on the window and climbed in and looked down at me. He didn't say anything and laid down next to me and followed my actions and looked at the ceiling. He turned his head to look at me and I looked back at him.

"You doing any better?" he whispered.

I nodded hesitantly and looked away from him.

I wasn't doing any better at all. He knew I wasn't but didn't call me out on it. I was grateful for that. I was grateful for Benny.

He reached his hand into his pocket and handed me my favorite kind of beef jerky stick. I smiled at him and immediately started unwrapping the hard plastic. He chuckled slightly when he saw me feel just a little bit of excitement over something so little.

"How about you come to the sandlot tomorrow. To get your mind off things," he suggested brightly.

I nodded happily, still devouring the beef jerky.

(Sorry for the short chapter, I promise the next one will be better :) )