𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟎

𝐂𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐒 𝐏𝐎𝐕

I roll out of bed. I'm not at Cato's house anymore, (thank god I convinced him to let me go home). I can't sleep anymore, and according to the light outside, it can't be any later than 4:30 in the morning. 

I grab a chipped cup from the cabinet and open the pantry. It's dusty, and there are only a few cans, here and there. There are also a few plastic bags that are somewhat filled with nuts, granola, all things that could never keep me filled. 

I open the refrigerator next. There's not much, but it'll do. I turn on the TV as I make myself breakfast. 

On the first channel available, I see the same woman as yesterday. Except today, she's dressed in blue flared pants and a flowing pink blouse. I cringe at her choice of clothing. Trends in the Capitol are disgusting. She's in the middle of a sentence when I begin to stop judging her appearance and focus on what she's saying, instead. 

"- The Olympiads begin today, and we have some very exciting news to share. Despite the fact that the Olympiads are a major part in the Reaping's, we have received insider information from Districts 1, 2, and 4, all of which claim that creating a reaping bowl will only take 24 hours, which is a record low. If you're unfamiliar with this, a reaping bowl is a collection of tributes good enough to be chosen for this year's Hunger Games. As today, October 21st, marks the first day of Fall, we are planning to see a reaping October 23rd for these Districts. The mood is bright, and optimistic, here in the Capitol. Everyone is looking forwards to seeing Panem's most greatest tradition; The Games. Check out Channel 6 for an official reaping planning chart, now fully updated. Feel free to download the PNEWS app on your COSGET, also airing live updates. That's all for me. I'm Carol Neece, and you're watching Panem News." 

The Channel flips to something unimportant and I immediately turn off the TV as I sit down with my now (ready) breakfast. 

How could I have forgotten?  How could I have forgotten, that one of the only things I have trained my whole life for, is today? 

I know that the Olympiads are held every year. This year, though, is different from the last. The stakes are higher, and the consequences are more serious. Because I could be the female tribute for District 2 this year. And, as much as I don't want to go to that arena, as much as I don't want to die, maybe it's best that I do. Finally, I've accepted my fate, and I've realized that maybe I should just go down with a bang. I'll fight for as long as I possibly can. 

***

I take the bus for an extra 20 minutes today to reach Cooper Stadium, where the Olympiads are taking place. 

The sun is just breaking over the horizon, and the sky is just beginning to break dawn. I was surprised enough that the bus driver cut his break early and drove the bus, despite the fact that it was 4:42 and his official workday starts at 5:15. 

The bus is quiet, and I can feel my inner demons clawing at my brain. But I don't have the energy or the focus to spare on shuffling music on my COSGET. Right now, every ounce of my brainpower is targeted on the fact that the Olympiads are today. 

The bus screeches to a stop, and my train of thought is disturbed. 

"Mam, here you go. Cooper Stadium, eh?" 

I nod at him. 

"Well, be sure to scan. I don't remember ya scanning at the beginning of the ride, did ya?"