Chapter 49: Afterlife?

A ghost of an orange-haired boy watched his friend's life slowly fade away. It hurt like hell, pain burning his chest worse than ruin guard's missiles did. He could only wonder...

Did she feel the same way when he died in his arms?

Sitting on the ground and pulling his legs close to his wounded ghostly chest, he sighed again, closing his eyes. Leaning his head down on top of his knees, he allowed himself to grieve.

It shouldn't have ended this way. No. Both of them were too young to die. They both still had so much to see and discover in this world. However, fate can be cruel and destroy all plans in a mere moment...

Opening his teary eyes to look at his friend again, Ajax found himself in a completely different area. The place he was in seemed to have no floor, no walls nor no roof. It was just a completely endless void of white.

A weird crackling noise caught his attention. Looking up, he saw that he was sitting under the burning tree.

Immediately standing up, he stepped a few steps back, to make sure he wasn't hurt in case burnt branches will fall down. However, none of that happened.

The young man raised his brow when he saw that only one part of the tree was burning. In front of him grew a gigantic tree, its foliage divided into a total of 7 parts.

To the right from the burning leaves, tree branches were covered by normal leaves, just their tips decorated with bluish accents. It looked like there was a cloud of rain above this part of the tree – water droplets continuously fell down from it, forming a natural shower.

To the left from the burning part, the tree looked like it was made from rocks, its branches taking unusual, sharp angle turns. Its leaves weren't moving, but reflecting the sunrays – it was made out of purest gold.

Tartaglia then understood. It was the Tree of Life – different leaves colors and behaviors symbolized different elements of the human world.

After the golden part followed leafless branches, covered by piles of snow and icicles. Cryo element. Next – an ordinary tree with dense greenery. Dendro. Then the branches became naked once again, decorated by small purple crystals here and there. A lightning bolt would flash from time to time, connecting the crystal together with electricity bolts. Electro. Lastly – once again, a normal tree, but its branches were swaying as if dancing in a warm spring breeze. Anemo.

The tree's roots were dark, turning black at the tips. As the tree got higher up, the dark color disappeared, changing to ordinary brown bark. At the very top of the tree was something that looked like an artificial sun – Ajax had to cover his eyes to not get blinded.

Lowering his eyes, he sighed. Was this it? The afterlife he was supposed to get to? It's definitely not what he expected...

He was about to turn around and go off to the invisible horizon and look for something to do when he saw a dark figure close to him, also staring at the tree.

"Charlotte...?"

His eyes widened when the figure responded to her name being called out, looking back at him. Girl's eyes were wide too as they stared at each other.

Without even noticing, the young male started moving closer, not taking his eyes off. After only 5 steps separated them he stopped, looking at his friend for a little longer. He then slowly spread his arms to the side, inviting for a hug.

Usually, a girl would blush and come close, letting him embrace her. This time, however, she stood still, staring at him with fear in her dark green eyes.