Chapter 24: Osial, Gnosis & Betrayal

Next day was supposed to be peaceful... Or so Zanni thought.

Girl finished her commissions and came back to her bedroom, writing replies to a few important letters regarding Fatui's... dirty business in debt collection. Ekaterina told her that Maxim and Viktor, 12th Harbinger's agents, were bored and had nothing to do, so Zanni decided to assign them some easy work.

Her afternoon seemed peaceful until the sudden rainstorm started outside. Charlotte liked rainy weather, so it didn't bother her.

At least until she heard some faint screaming and shouting outside. Brunette girl was about to go out and check what's with the fuss, but a giant water-bubble-like thing appeared in her room, immediately trapping her. Zanni was beginning to panic, but her shock soon enough was replaced with confusion as she felt familiar strong arms wrapped around her.

Before she knew it, the water-bubble-like shielding wall disappeared and she found herself standing outside on the top of mountain near the Liyue Harbor. Rain was pouring like from a bucket, drenching girl completely.

Childe pulled her under the nearby huge tree that partly covered them from the downpour.

"Childe, what in the world-"

"Look, I don't think this is the right time for explanation, but I unleashed a sealed god Osial."

"You did WHAT?!"

Charlotte escaped from his grip, walking up to the edge of the mountain to look at the city. All of the sudden, a giant 5-headed snake monster rose up from the sea. Girl watched the entire scene with wide eyes, shock getting her frozen to place.

"I had nothing to choose from. This is the only way how I can try to obtain the gnosis." Childe tried his best to explain the situation shortly.

Charlotte was yet too busy looking at the scene to hear him. All of the sudden, a giant structure flew above them, towards the giant water snake. The Jade Chamber – the place where Lady Ningguang dwelt.

"The city is at risk of being flooded... People can die..." girl stuttered, still watching the scene in front of her.

Instead of the answer, she felt same strong arms wrap around her shoulders, pulling her in an embrace.

"It's for the best..."

That was the last drop.

"For the best?! Do you even hear yourself?!" Zanni escaped his embrace. "Does the fact that people are dying painful deaths of drowning sound good for you?!"

"Listen, I told you, I had no choice-"

"Screw it all!" girl turned around, sprinting down the hill.

After a few minutes, she finally reached the city. Water level has risen a lot already. The market tents near the Liyue docs were washed away, water waves destroying everything in their path.

Charlotte strolled the main street, the Feiyun Slope, of the Liyue that was way higher and water didn't reach there. This is where all of the people have gathered. Girl's attention was caught by a panicked woman talking to a millelith.

"My daughter is still there! Do something!"

"Millelith is already on patrol, miss, you need to-"

"SHE MIGHT HAVE DROWNED BY NOW!"

Zanni immediately made her way towards the panicked woman, pushing away the Millelith guard.

"Miss, how does your daughter look? Where was she last seen?" she asked calmly with concern in her voice.