Chapter 35

Searching
Katibah Elle
Chapter 35

Tahseen held her daughter in her arms, her heart thudding rapidly.
She was so afraid to hold on too tight, in fear that she will hurt her little baby, but at the same time, she felt this overpowering urge to hold on and never let go.

Despite the heavy exhaustion, the painful pinch of her fresh stitches, Tahseen found herself staring at this teeny beautiful creation.

Aaliyah was just absolutely perfect.

She had the same eyes as her mother, light brown and wide, beautifully framed with thick lashes.
Her cheeks dusted with a rose tinted pink, as was her little button nose, and she seemed to have her father’s hair, thick and bountiful curls. Her tiny mouth searching for milk in the cutest of pouts.

‘A small version of mother and father in one baby.’, Tahseen thought with amusement.

She gently leaned over the soft baby curls, her nose tickled by the light brown hairs, as she inhaled the pure baby scent and sighed. Nothing is the world smelled this good.

Aaliyah suckled from her breast hungrily, causing Tahseen to gasp at the harsh ache that emanated from the core of her breast, but when her daughters tiny hands clutched onto her finger, the sweet faint cooing as Aaliyah drank milk, Tahseen fell completely in love at that moment.
The fatigue and excruciation of giving birth dimmed slightly and a starry eyed look appeared in her pupils.

There was nothing in the world, like that connection of your baby nursing from you, the physical pull of a deeper love.
A motherly love.

Tahseen’s gaze remained on Aaliyah the entire time she fed, her little eyes fluttering close in contentment.

***

When Zuhair came back into the hospital room, his heart flipped backwards at the sight before him.

There in the bed, lay his tired wife, her hair matted to her face, visible sweat beads on her forehead, and she was fast asleep.
His daughter’s mouth still on Tahseen’s breast, sleeping peacefully against her mother.

If there was a single moment he wished would last forever, it would be right now, this capsule of love, his own little family.

He closed his eyes and made a soft prayer, his gratitude for the good health of both his queen and little princess.

Very gently, he gathered Aaliyah in his arms and placed her in the baby cot next to the bed.

Taking a look at Tahseen, he adjusted her pillows and covered up her exposed chest.
He didn’t have the heart to wake her up just as yet, so Zuhair sorted out the after birth, the medical booklet for baby and mum, as well as packing the bags for Tahseen.

Eric had given him the go ahead, Tahseen and Aaliyah were perfectly fine to be discharged.
It was time to take his girls home.

***

The Adam and Hassim families fussed over Tahseen, Zuhair and their baby.

Zuhair and Tahseen smiled warily at each other, they knew the attention was going to be more than just overwhelming.
Both families wanted to hold Aaliyah, each wanting their moment with their first grandchild.

When Tahseen excused herself to go to the bathroom, Zuhair quietly pulled over his mother and aunty Fahmida, “ Tahseen seems really tired, would it be possible to ask our beautiful mothers to assist in bathing and dressing the baby? Tahseen hasn’t eaten as yet , I want to make sure she eats proper, she needs her strength.”

Both mothers readily agreed, then very stealthy they collected all the items needed and quietly left the room, taking baby Aaliyah and the crowd of admirers with them.
Fahmida popped back in the room with a bowl of hot soup, a drink full of nuts, a ginger mixture and a capsule filled with a weird looking brown powder.

Zuhair’s eyes widened at the tray, and his mother in law clicked her tongue, “Make sure she eats all of this. I know you’re pulling your face, Zuhair, but these strange concoctions will help Tahseen heal faster. It’s tradition.”

Zuhair grinned, “Ahh mother in law, you know I will never argue with a woman like you, the wisdom!”

“Hmpf, you and your sweet words…” she rolled her eyes at him, with a cheeky smile her own.

Moments later, Tahseen walked slowly out of the bathroom, right past Zuhair, not realizing that he was right there, and flopped on the bed.

After a second of closing her eyes, she abruptly jumped up, her hand on her chest and gasped, “Oh my gosh! Aaliyah….where… ??”

Zuhair calmly came up behind her and held her tight, “It’s OK. Our mothers are busy bathing and changing her. Why don’t I cuddle and feed you? Aaliyah is in good hands right now, but when she’s hungry again, you are not going to be able to rest.”

Tahseen turned around and hugged him tightly, “Thank you. It feels a little strange, almost like I’ve been forgotten, but… you are always here. I had no idea you were still in the room. I thought I wanted to be alone, I just stood in the shower, letting the warm water flow over me, but having your arms around me makes me realize that I’m not ready as yet, to be by myself.”

Zuhair tilted her face towards his, his thumb gently brushing over her lips, he looked into her eyes and replied, “My darling wife, I will never leave you alone. What you did today was incredible, super human and I know I know, you’re going to tell me that women do it everyday, that doctors are so used to this, but for me, this changed me. Seeing you in so much pain, and yet immediately after all of that, you were more worried about your baby, that’s a different kind love, it is special. I have no idea how your physical and emotional state is going to be, but I need you to know that I am here. I’m not just a father, I’m your husband too, and I have every intention to take excellent care of you and Aaliyah.”

Tahseen sighed happily, leaning towards Zuhair, she kissed him softly and sweetly.

Zuhair pulled away as he took her hand and led her to the bed, “Right Mrs Adam. Time to get comfy on those pillows while I feed you your soup. Consider me as your very, and I mean ‘very’ personal care taker.”

Tahseen giggled, “Do I get back rubs?”

Zuhair winked, “Anything for my queen.”