Chapter 16

Searching
Katibah Elle
Chapter 16

Tahseen waited impatiently for her parents to say something, anything at all, but instead they avoided her gaze and refused to speak.

Ebrahim and Fahmida simply clammed up, their lips pursed in silence, not daring to look at each other, nor at her.

Then, they hastily got up and continued their work in the garden, as if the entire conversation she had with them, did not take place.

Tahseen could only stand there with her mouth agape, as she watched them carry on their gardening, talking about the most mundane things.

Tahseen held her head and in exasperation exclaimed, "Mum, Dad! This is beyond ridiculous. I just told you that I am in love with a man, that I want to spend the rest of my life with him, and you very passionately refuse it, without giving me a valid reason. If you're going to support me, to stand up and make my own decisions in life, it would only be fair that you explain as to why you said no. I deserve that much to know. You can not just act like my confession never happened."

After a beat of silence, her parents turned to look at her.

For the first time in Tahseen's life, she watched as her mother did not say a word.

She looked at her husband with an urgent, silent plea. Ebrahim put his hand on Fahmida's arm, and he nodded, she placed her hand over his, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

Very carefully, he pulled off his glasses, and as he walked towards her, and Tahseen saw the most serious look on his face.
She knew then, that whatever he had to say, was not only important, it was going to cause a major impact to her life.
The tightening in her chest gripped her, and she could only take an unsettled deep breath

The only other time he had worn such a look, was the day her grandfather had been shot three times, close to the heart, during a botched burglary at the family warehouse.

That day completely changed their lives, and Tahseen had a premonition, that this change that was about to happen, is not going to be one for the better.

Her father gently pulled her to sit down.

He sighed deeply and rubbed his eyes. Tahseen took a good look at her father and noticed the deep worry lines around in his brown eyes. His hair dusted with the white grey colour of aging, his hands tan, worn and rough, telling the tale of many years of hard work.

Tahseen felt a warmth of love for her father, he was so amazing in accepting her ambition and desire for art. She just hoped that his refusal for Zuhair, was something she could eventually get him to come around to.

With a voice filled with dread, he began, "Your grandfather knew the Adam family from many years ago.
At first, the families were neighbours. The elder sons from both families, found a bond through the poor life that they led. It was a friendship of a lifetime, as strong as blood brothers.
The Hassim and Adam boys studied together at university, were present at each other's weddings, and even at the birth of their first babies. As the families grew bigger, with wives, children, grandchildren, the friendship remained strong, but slightly more distant.
Each family branching off into their own pursuit of life, living in various parts of the world.
A few years back, your grandfather came in contact with an Adam boy, and he took a real liking to him.
From there he made the connection with his dear old friend. In fact, I remember quite clearly that your grandfather had invited to host them over at our family mansion. However the Adam family did not turn up, with no explanations, nothing at all.
Your grandfather, felt a little hurt by it, in those times not attending an invitation was seen as disrespect, but he decided to go by, and ask if they were OK.
They skipped town, and not a single soul heard from them again.
Your grandfather tried in vain to find them, he was truly concerned about his friends well being. Perhaps he passed on? Perhaps he was gravely ill? Unfortunately nothing was found, the family almost vanished into thin air.
Two years later the truth surfaced, in a newspaper article.
As it turned out, that was the day, the grandson of the Adam family murdered a girl. That grandson had a name, and I'm so sorry my darling girl, it was Zuhair Adam."

Tahseen stood rooted to the spot. She could barely breathe, as she felt her body shaking with disbelief and shock. As her father came closer, she scrambled away from him, repeatedly shaking her head, refusing to believe something so horrible about the man she loves.

Practically gasping to get out her words, she rasped, "No dad, No! I refuse to believe that. It's not true! It's can't be true. You can't just...... how could you hurt me this way?" her eyes narrowing with pain.

Fahmida came forward touching her elbow in sympathy, "Oh my baby girl. I know it's hard to accept, but it's the truth. We only know the name of the boy, as your grandfather was the one to name the boy. I'm so sorry, but he is not a safe person. We only want to protect you. Unfortunately that family is full of bad luck, and it would be best you stay away from him. Don't worry, you're a beautiful girl, you will find someone else to love."

Tahseen shrugged off her mothers touch, furious at her words.

She held onto her aching chest, as if to repair the despair.
Her body shuddered in confusion, a series of emotions threatening to overthrow her sanity. Anger, hurt, confusion and so much pain, painted each artery with the blood of heartache.
Tears slid across her cheekbones, and only when she tasted the salty drops on her lips, did she react.

Tahseen wiped her face, and without turning to look at her parents, she whispered in agony, "For such a serious accusation, I would like to talk to Zuhair myself. Please understand this."

Ebrahim called out to her, but Fahmida held him back.
Tahseen walked to the garage, her brain foggy with the information.

Questions, oh she had so many questions.

She needed to talk to Zuhair right away, she needed to know it wasn't true.
Tahseen sat in the car, crazily rummaging through her handbag for her phone.

In one simple text, she messaged Zuhair:

We need to talk. Asap. It's urgent. Meet me at the hospital.

Dropping the phone in her bag, she turned on the ignition of the car, and putting the car into gear, she sped away.

Her questions howled at her as she drove, making it difficult for her to concentrate on the road.

Is this true? Did he kill a girl?
Who was the girl?
Did Zuhair know her grandfather?
Why had no one ever mentioned the Adam family in their home?
What would she do, if Zuhair confirms that he murdered someone?

Most importantly, would it be foolish for her to still love him?