Chapter 31

Searching
Katibah Elle
Chapter 31

The room felt a few sizes too small and Zuhair’s chest tightened uncomfortably.

An excessive load of thoughts were going through his mind, and having his parents and Tahseen’s parents stare at him in concern , made it impossible for him to think clearly.

He needed to get out of there.

“...I uh excuse me. I can’t...” he murmured before bolting out of the office.

“Zuhair... Wait!” Eric called out for him, but he was already down the hall.

Zuhair found the nearest bathroom and barged in.

He stood by the sink, trying to take in regular deep breaths, his hands clutching his hair.
How is something like this possible?!

He looked at himself in the mirror, hating his weakness.

His eyes bloodshot from the tears and stress, his face pale with shock only served to remind him how vulnerable he felt at that moment, how absolutely useless.

A baby..

There was life growing inside Tahseen, life that was created out of love, and she had no idea, he had no idea and she’d been badly hurt.

With her injuries, with all that has happened, will both the baby and Tahseen survive?
What if the foetus took some damage?

Zuhair’s hands shook at the thought of losing either, the love of his life and the warmth of loving his unborn child, and in desperation he gripped the edge of the sink in front of him.

The horror began to creep back in, that ugly empty feeling that broke him down after Aaliyah’s death.

No!

There was no way he could allow past nightmares to ruin his future.

Zuhair closed his eyes, forcing away the hallow monster.

This was not just one life, but now two lives that he needed to be the foundation of strength, faith in prayer.

This was his wedding vow to Tahseen, forever and always.
With a strong resolve, he splashed cool water over his face.

There was one other person that did not account for what they knew and it was time Zuhair dealt with her.

Kaju Khala.

Zuhair dialled her number and waited, just as he was about give up, she answered breezily, “Helooo. It’s Khadija speaking.”

“Kaju Khala. You sound completely unaffected by the fact that your beloved niece is in hospital. Now all I want to know, is why did you not bother to phone your sister, after seeing your niece bleeding out on the ground? Unless you had something to do with it. I am one hundred percent sure, that Ebrahim will not take too kindly to anyone that had any intention of hurting his daughter, not his father nor his sister in law. Remember the family I come from. We have a powerful pull of our own. My own grandfather will be more than willing to find dirt on Mr Moosa Hassim as well as anything you’re involved in....” Zuhair replied coldly.

Kaju Khala didn’t respond for a long time, her erratic breathing could be heard from the other end of the phone, eventually she answered, “Look Zuhair. I know you think I’m responsible for something and I am. I confided in Tahseen about a dark secret of her grandfather, something that has been kept very well hidden until recently, and she was hell bent in making him pay for having the audacity of hurting you. Blackmailing. The thing is, we were being followed to the Valli’s, and while Tahseen’s emotional outburst with you was true, our real reason for being their had nothing to do with you. Initially that was her intention, to confront you in the lie, but after she found out about her grandfather, she wanted to drag the proof to him herself. She needed to meet the past of Moosa Hassim that lay behind the walls of the Valli’s home , and I am very sure, had any plan being made to hurt anyone, it was definitely not meant for Tahseen. Me coming to the hospital will only complicate why I was with her, Ebrahim and Fahmida had no idea what we were looking for. Ebrahim has absolutely no idea about his own father's skeletons. It’s best for everyone to think that she just came to the Valli’s to see you because she missed you. I know, that given the circumstances, it’s crazy to ask, but please just trust me.”

“No. Unless you tell me the truth, and I find my own proof that you’re innocent, I do not trust you. I am going to see my wife now, and I don’t want you anywhere near her. You can make up your own excuses to your sister, but I am making sure that hospital staff will not allow you in.” Zuhair cut the call, he had enough of this.

He stalked back into the doctors office and with authority he spoke to the family, “Mum and dad, Aunty Fahmida and Uncle Ebrahim. This news of Tahseen’s fragile state and pregnancy is both shocking and exciting. It’s important for all of us to be strong for Tahseen right now, and I want to ensure all of you, that I will do anything to protect both of them. Our prayers are important for her, and we should know, that in any circumstance, we always ask from our Rabb for his help. Now Eric, is it possible to see my wife?”

Eric smiled at his friend, proud of the fact the he dragged out his inner strength for his family, “Yes, you may see her. Please only one family member at a time. She is awake, but very groggy. Don’t asked her too many questions, just sit with her and talk to her. Hearing your voices will soothe her.”

***

Tahseen felt as if her entire body shredded itself apart, the pull of her spine overbearing with immense pain in every breath she took.

Her eyes fluttered open and the hazy view of bright lights and white walls confused her, the soft sounds of murmurs and the loud beeping, made her want to run into a dark corner and curl up into a ball.

What was going on?

She couldn’t seem to think more than the different intervals of warm touches and occasional soothing voices, almost like she found a way to cotton clouds and simply floated amongst the whiteness and the never ending ache.

After some time, snippets of moments came back to her, in these overbearing, vehement flashes in front of her eyes.

People, places, emotions and this strong urge that she needed to do something.

It was the urge that made her restless, and she needed to do it now.

With a soft gasp, she lifted her head, her eyes flickering and eventually focusing on a smiling face.

“Zuhair....”

“Shhh.. Baby. Don’t try to talk, just rest OK.” His voices soothed her and he leaned down to drop a sweet kiss on her forehead.

The calm of his kiss only lasted a few seconds, the urge came back again.

This time, Tahseen used more force and she rasped, “My grandfather...”

Zuhair held her hand but Tahseen pulled away.
Now that she knew the ugly truth, she needed to talk to her grandfather.

“No! I want him here!”
Those were her last words before exhaustion took over, and Tahseen felt herself succumb to a troubled sleep.