part three

I made a small detour—no more than a minute from where i was headed—and went to the building that held the picture. I still had no clue how it related to me, or why it drew me back and clouded my mind, but I hoped that one day I could figure it out.

I rubbed a little mud off of the burned picture. The house was now burned to the ground, most likely from a lightning bolt or some other easily explainable event.

Other than the picture, the shabby building was completely empty. Not even a chair remained in the rubble.

"I can do this..." I breathed, turning from the rubble and running towards the city. I was determined to save Sabo.

The sun slowly began to rise as I snuck in, hidden in some old man's cabbage. "You may enter." The guards voice echoed through the desolate city. With a quick jolt, the cart began moving deeper and deeper into the  large city. After a while, the movement stopped, and footsteps walked away from the cart accompanied by muffled voices.

I took my chance and slipped out from under the cabbages, and quickly ran off in an attempt to not be caught.

I looked around the city and its streets. I even looked through all the ally ways and shops.

" hello, Miss... are you lost?" A kind elderly woman asked. Her hunched back made her closer to my level.

"Um... I'm looking for my friend and I got a little lost..." I couldn't tell her the full truth.

She smiled gently as she pulled out her wallet. She counted something before speaking again. "Why dont I treat you to dinner? You look rather skinny, dear..."

I would have refused, but my stomach growled loudly as if it was saying yes for me.

"Come now, there's a nice Café nearby. I don't have a lot, but I can't let a little girl starve!" She held her wrinkly had out for me to grab.

She guided me into the small café and ordered for the both of us. "So, Dearie, where are you from?" Her gentle smile never faded. I was trying to think of how to answer as a cup of hot coco and a Croissant appeared in front of me. I quickly thanked the waiter before eating.

"Thank you, Ma'am." I said politely, enjoying the delicious food. She just watched me eat with a weird look plastered on her wrinkled face.

"You don't seem like you're from here..."

For an old woman, she was rather perceptive. I quickly tried to think of a lie.

"Um, my family just moved here?" I said with my mouth full of food, but she just narrowed her eyes.

"No one has moved here in years! Are you one of those kids who wants to be a pirate?" Her brow raised accusingly.

My face went a deep red as I swallowed hard.

She winked with a smile, "Don't worry, Dearie, your secret is safe with me." She pulled her sleeve up just enough to see the pirate flag tattoo on her weathered arm.

"I used to sail with one of the most amazing crewes in the whole world... we were called the Roger pirates." She took a deep breath as she smiled. "I may be 80 something years old, but I still remember everything clear as day."

My eyes went wide as she began her story, my mind completely forgetting about Sabo for the time being.

"It was forever ago... but I remember the day Gol invited me to his crew. I know what you're thinking—an old hag like me being a pirate, but I was much younger then." She sighed, thinking about her younger years.

"I truly wish I could go back in time..." Tears pricked at her eyes. "He had sunk my ship, we where called the 77 pirates. I thought I was so high and mighty as a captain, nothing would kill me..." Her smile was back.

"He dragged me aboard his ship, ignoring my protests, but secretly, I wanted to join his crew. All of my crew had already turned to him with my okay. After a while, I agreed. I quickly turned into the ship's mother figure. I did a lot of the cooking, the cleaning, and the doctoring, but it never really bothered me..."

She sighed, upset. "There were these two boys, like fire and water, they were..." I smiled thinking about Ace and Luffy.

"But one day, they were fighting like bats out of hell, I really thought the taller one was going to kill him! But of course, they made up the next day like nothing happened. Of course, the bickering never changed..."

Tears fell from her eyes. "And the day they watched the captains death, they became enemies. It broke my heart watching the two boys I practically raised hate each other when they needed one and other the most." She huffed.

"My point is, I know exactly who you are (Y/N), daughter of—" I didn't hear her last words as I cut her off with my question.

"Does that mean you knew Silver Rayleigh?!" I asked enthusiastic.

"Young one, I more than knew Rayleigh." She smiled gently, grossing me out.

Ew ew ew, I mumbled to myself, getting up to excuse myself.

"Miss (Y/N), I'd try looking in the left center of the town. It might be what you're looking for." I turned around quickly when it hit me— how does she know my name? But she was gone like the wind.

And quickly, I was off to find Sabo. I only spent about half an hour with the old lady, but I felt guilty for dallying.

.
.
.

Sleep well! Don't forget your medications! Make sure you've had a glass of water and eaten!