IX

Demi's mind was on autopilot. She knew that she should be on her way home because Wilmer and Rory were waiting for her. But after her studio session, she "accidentally" took a wrong turn and now she was on her way to Jesse's house.

It wasn't to have sex, she just wanted to talk. The way they left things last time had been stuck on her mind. She couldn't just let her feelings eat her alive.

This time, they knocked on the door. It was the noon and people were just now coming home from work. She didn't want any of Jesse's neighbors thinking they were anything more than friends.

Jesse swung the door open. He had his shirt in his hand with nothing but a pair of sweatpants on. He was obviously expecting someone else when he looked down and saw Demi waiting at his door.

"What are you doing here?" He asked. He quickly threw his shirt over his head while he looked in the hallway, making sure no one was watching.

"Nice to see too." Demi sarcastically remarked. "Can I come in?"

"I don't think that's the best idea—" Jesse was cut off as a voice from behind him interrupted the two.

"Is that the pizza?" It was a woman's voice. Demi's eyebrows furrowed. She looked past Jesse's shoulder and found a woman standing in nothing but a long oversized t-shirt— Jesse's shirt. It barely reached her thighs— she would have a lot of balls showing that to the delivery man.

"No, just a friend. I'm sure you probably know her—" Jesse was once again off as the woman gasped and made her way to Jesse's side.

"Omg! You're Demi Lovato!" The woman gushed. Demi tried to replace her scowl with a smile. "Sorry, this isn't how I imagined meeting you but I love your music."

"Thank you," Demi said while trying not to roll her eyes. "Is it okay if I talk to Jesse for a second? I just want to discuss a project we're going to be doing soon."

The girl nodded but Demi could care less. Her question wasn't an actual question. Whether the random girl liked it or not, she was going to talk to Jesse.

Demi and Jesse stepped outside of his apartment, with Jesse closing the door on them. They walked down the hallway a little bit so the random woman couldn't snoop on their conversation. There was a window at the end of the hallway that they stopped at. Demi couldn't bare to look at Jesse, so she stared out of the window.

"I told you to choose Demi, you chose him." Jesse stated.

Demi scoffed and turned to face Jesse, crossing their arms over their chest. "First of all, I told you. I'm not choosing between you and my husband. Second, I never made a fucking choice, there is no choice to make."

"But you did. Your instagram post for valentine's day. That was you making a decision."

"What was I supposed to do Jesse? Post you? So everyone can know what's going on between us?!" Demi said growing annoyed with the conversation.

"Would you keep your voice down?" Jesse whispered. "Unless you want my neighbors to figure out and run to TMZ. You made your decision, Demi. So now I have to move on."

"And that girl in your apartment is supposed to be my replacement? Or is she just someone you found off the street to make me jealous?" It wasn't just about the girl. It was about the ultimatum that he had given her. A choice she shouldn't have to make. "There's nothing to choose from Jesse. Wilmer is my husband. We are nothing Jesse, there's nothing between us except for sex."

Truthfully, Demi didn't understand her feelings towards Jesse. But to keep her from going insane, that's what she told herself. Demi could see how Jesse's heart dropped when she finished. She didn't come over to hurt him or make him feel bad, but it needed to be said. Obviously Jesse had deeper feelings than Demi did.

"That's why you come over as often as possible. That's why you trust me with things you've never told him before. That's why when we were filming that documentary, you came to me when you needed someone to confide in. Not your husband, but me." Demi looked at the floor as Jesse laid it into her.

"Stop denying your feelings, Demi. The only reason there's nothing more between us is because you won't let it happen. As long as you're with your husband, we will be nothing more than fuck buddies. I want more, but you won't let it happen. I'm making a decision for you and letting go. There's no longer an 'us'."

"But Jesse—" Demi said looking up, meeting his eyes. The eyes that reeled her in the first time the met. The eyes that left her wanting to know more about him. The eyes that saw every part of her, even the parts that she didn't show her own husband.

"No Demi. I can't look at you without seeing someone I love. I deserve better. I'm sorry but this ends now." As Jesse finished, Demi was fighting back tears. Her vision was blurred with tears. Jesse cupped her face and pressed a gentle kiss to her forehead. He didn't care if anyone was watching or taking pictures. This was probably the last time he would touch her, he wasn't going to let the risk of being caught ruin that.

As Jesse pulled away he couldn't bring himself to look at Demi. He didn't want to see the tears coming out of her eyes or the sad look on her face. He walked back into his apartment, going back to the woman and leaving Demi.

Wilmer knew how to push Demi's buttons. He knew how to make her happy again after a fight. But most importantly he knew what would make her stay. Family was her everything. After being raised in a broken home with divorced parents, all she wanted was to give Rory the best life possible. Wilmer knew that as long as they had Rory, she was never leaving.

So after he surprised her on tour and the love making that lasted until dawn, he prayed that it would be enough. That after the lie he told her last night, she would believe it and trust him again.

But it was more than enough. That was clear when they were in Texas a few weeks later and he woke up to find Demi in the bathroom, with their head in the toilet bowl.

"Are you okay nena?" He said sprinting to her side, holding her hair back as she continued to empty out the tiny bit of breakfast they had this morning.

"I'm late." Demi responded. Wilmer's body froze.

"What?" He didn't need to ask what they meant. He knew exactly what Demi was talking about.

"I'm late, Wilmer." Demi groaned, growing annoyed with him. "This can't be happening right now." Demi mumbled.

They stood up from the toilet and rinsed their mouth in the sink. Wilmer stood watching them. His body did not move. He didn't assist her when as she brushed her teeth. He didn't help her strip out of her clothes which were now filled with sweat.

"Are you sure?" Wilmer asked as Demi rolled her eyes.

"Yes I'm sure. Kelsey bought me a few tests last night." Demi laid on the bed, trying to take away the sick feeling in their stomach. "I'm pregnant, Wilmer."

Wilmer was ecstatic. Not because he was excited to have another baby. Because he knew that from this point on— no matter what he did— he would still have Demi. After this baby, Demi would never leave him. He would be able to get away with anything. No more lies, no more sneaking around. He was free.

The sound of Rory crying startled them and took him out of his day dreaming. Before Wilmer could even process what was happening, Demi already had Rory in their arms, cooing her as the tired baby calmed down in their arms.

"So what do we do now?" Wilmer asked. Demi shrugged their shoulders. They've had a baby before, that was obvious. But they weren't planning on having another one so soon, especially while they were on tour.

"I'll call my doctor and set up an appointment. Then we go from there." Demi explained. Demi could tell Wilmer was excited, but she couldn't match his energy. They were in Texas. Her home town. She had a show tonight that would be the most important show of the entire tour and here she was with morning sickness.