Benardete's Paradox

Start from the beginning

HAROLD Why didn't we just book a restaurant for dinner?

PRISCILLA Oh shut it, Harold. You know your son loves my cooking.

HAROLD Doesn't he cook?

PRISCILLA He does, better than anyone I know, but nothing beats a mother's recipe. Now, drive carefully.

CUT TO:

INT. DINING AREA (ALEX'S HOUSE) - NIGHT

There is awkward tension in the room. Harold holds a serious face at Alex as the two sit face to face at the dining table.

Priscilla places a pot of freshly cooked stew on the table. Smoke coming out of the pot–between Harold and Alex.

HAROLD You should have just listened to me 14 years ago.

Priscilla looks at her husband and squints her eyes. Visible disappointment on her face.

HAROLD This wouldn't have happened if you obeyed your father–like how a proper son should.

Priscilla reaches for Harold's bowl and puts stew in it.

PRISCILLA Harold, stop. Let's have dinner before the stew gets cold.

Alex remains quiet and calm while fidgeting with his spoon. Priscilla continues to put servings of food on Harold's and Alex's plates.

HAROLD (to Alex) Look at you. Do you even have time to look in the mirror?

Priscilla looks at Harold once more with surprised eyes and an open mouth.

PRISCILLA What's wrong with you? Let your son eat his dinner first.

ALEX It's okay. I'm not hungry anyway.

Priscilla faces Alex for a brief moment and turns back at her husband.

PRISCILLA Alex...Harold! Do you hear yourself? We're in front of the food so stop this nonsense now!

Harold has his left elbow and forearm on the table while his other hand rests on his right knee.

HAROLD Nonsense? Okay, he did fine being a writer. Great! But that was 3 years ago. He wasted everything and...and for what?

PRISCILLA Can you please leave your son alone–at least, for dinner, honey?

Harold leans his face closer to Priscilla.

HAROLD Had he been a doctor like how Rose planned to be, everything would have turned a lot better.

Alex looks in the direction of Harold.

ALEX Yes, be a doctor. Do everything you ask like a robot. That's what you want, right?

Harold's face turns more serious. His eyebrows meet closer.

PRISCILLA Alex...Harold, please.

ALEX (calmly) I'm sorry that I didn't pursue being a doctor. I'm sorry that I also failed to be a consistent writer.

Alex tilts his head toward the living room's window as he tries to hold his anger back.

PRISCILLA There's no point arguing about this right now. Harold, your son's 28. It makes no sense to fight over this issue.

Harold shakes his head, looking very disappointed and starts to eat the food on his plate.

CUT TO:

INT. HIGH SCHOOL CLASSROOM - DAY

We see Young Alex nervously walking towards the classroom's blackboard. He writes his name with a small piece of chalk from the bottom of the board.