I narrow my eyes at him, indirectly answering his question, making him look at me with a smug expression. "Fuck. Off."

Instead, Tyson just snorts and I stand from the couch, making a beeline for the staircase.

"Be ready for dinner in an hour!" Tyson calls out, his voice echoing through the staircase, reaching my ears.

・    ・    ・

I am unsure what Tyson's aim was about coming home early because after the hour I had passed; I came downstairs to find out it was only Brinley and me in the cabin yet again. The others had also apparently decided not to come back home and go straight to the restaurant, I later learned.

We had little time to dwell on the fact we were alone, which has only ended other places all the other times. Instead, Jones seems to be a clock set half an hour ahead of actual time, quoting we needed to leave ASAP or else we would be late. We wouldn't have been late, but I didn't feel like opening my mouth in a useless rebuttal that would lead nowhere.

The sun is setting just behind the mountain peak. I watch the sky gradually grow into a mix of pinks and blues, stars shining ever so slightly in the sky.

The dusky light casts a beautiful glow on Jones's skin that I admire as we walk. I don't know what it is, but I can't seem to take my eyes off of her, aching for her eyes to meet mine and remind me I am alive. She hasn't yet and I doubt she even knows I am looking at her. A few steps ahead, I try my best to stay a few steps behind her just so I am still able to openly stare at her without being considered a creep.

The wind blowing through the trees flows through Jones's hair, sending the loose curls of bleached blond hair waving behind her. She is wearing the same black puffer from when she came home earlier with a pair of blue washed straight jeans, hugging her curves almost perfectly, and a ribbed black long sleeve shirt beneath her jacket. The snow blanketing the path crunches underneath the heels of her black boots.

I have never been one to pay attention to details, but here I am, memorizing every little one of a girl I don't even like. I think? At this point, I don't even know. My brain is a confusing fucking mess when it comes to Jones.

My attraction to her seems to have grown now that I like her enough to allow her to break the celibacy I have had since high school, but... fuck, I can't even come up with a reason not to like her. Her presence is... tolerable. Which, frankly, means she's doing a lot better than ninety-nine point nine-nine percent of the population. We are complete opposites, which is another thing. She is the center of attention, whether or not she likes it; I hide in the corner away from strangers' eyes. She is open and honest, and likes to see the best in people until they betray her; I lock myself away, always keeping people at arms-length to prevent the possibility of even letting one person hurt me again. But that might also be why I am enchanted by her. She is something refreshing that I haven't seen in my life.

Without even realizing it, the ground underneath my feet has changed from snow to pavers and I look away from Jones, noticing a building up ahead with gondolas coming in and out of it in circles. That seems to be the direction that Jones is heading, so now I am slightly confused about where this supposed restaurant is situated. Tyson may have mentioned something about the restaurant potentially being atop the mountain, but I do not know. I wasn't paying any attention, so who fucking knows?

We near the building and because of the time, we get into a gondola pretty quickly with no trouble. The slopes are closed and I suppose the only people catching them right now are on the same mission as us: to get food.

Jones walks into the gondola first, me not following long after. It is only us on the gondola until the last minute when a family carrying about every bag you can imagine and around four or more kids piles on, taking up the remainder of the space.