Brinley and Tyson get lost in an animated conversation that I have no involvement in as I continue to look at her. Her mouth moves with every word she utters; a warm smile on her lips, revealing her pearly white teeth that look to be straight from braces; and the way she nods to everything Tyson says, whether or not it needs an answer, just to show her engagement in the conversation. I don't know why I notice these things, but just because I don't entirely like her, doesn't mean I may not admire the beautiful human she is.

One other thing I have come to notice about her is how similar she is to the only other woman that has been in my life.

Not regarding looks, but my mother and Jones have this particular aura about them. Jones carries herself with the same confidence my mother did, not cocky but not insecure either. Their presence is always known in any room they entered. It drew people to the both of them. I can recall countless times I was walking down the street and people would openly gaze at my mother as she walked past. The same goes for Brinley. She attracts attention from anyone and everyone, whether or not she knows it.

Maybe that is why I am drawn to her, because she reminds me of someone I miss so dearly.

Instinctively, my hand goes to the butterfly tattoo on my forearm, rubbing it in circles. I don't even realize I am doing it until I look down.

"Malachi?" Tyson says, prompting me out of my daze. I look up at him so fast I am surprised my neck didn't snap or something.

I raise an eyebrow, silently asking him what he wants.

"I asked you a question." Tyson narrows his eyes, staring at me cautiously, and I feel like he is fucking looking into my soul when he stares at me like that. He moves his head the slightest bit further and my automatic reaction is to slide back on the couch.

This is weirding me out just a bit.

Tyson inches closer yet again, eyes still narrowed and in my periphery, I spare Brinley a hasty glance that projects our shared confusion. I move away from him.

"Dude, what the fuck are you doing?" I ask, my voice croaky and raspy as I speak. Is he fucking possessed?

Like nothing happened, he snaps back to normal. "Why are you shirtless?" he asks.

"Are you possessed or some shit?" I ask with a disbelieving tone to my voice at his quick sobering of that whole situation.

He waves a dismissive hand. "Don't be ridiculous. Answer my question."

I stare at him, still thoroughly confused. I don't even remember what he asked me if I was being completely honest.

Tyson must sense the confusion radiating off of me because he glances down my body, almost like he is checking me out in some way. "Where is your shirt?"

Oh, shit.

I glimpse down and, sure enough, a shirt hasn't magically appeared on my body since he walked inside. I open my mouth, going to answer the question, but someone on the other side of the room beats me to it.

"I was patching up his cut." To provide emphasis, Brinley waves a showcasing hand to my torso, where the bandage is now attached to my skin.

Tyson snorts. "What the fuck did you do? Run into a tree?"

I glower at him, not at all amused. Why the fuck is that everyone's first assumption? "Fuck off."

"You ran into a tree?" Tyson asks, delight seeping into him if the grin on his face is any indication. Holden and Aidan—I usually observe—tease him relentlessly about the array of idiotic decisions he has made, ending in even stupider injuries.