Chapter 72

"Pardon? I'm confused," Jin said, completely puzzled and trying not to mind what he disturbingly said about his behind.

What surprise is he talking about?

[I see you haven't.]

Jin didn't answer as he was still baffled by the fact he was giving him gifts at this early stage. Is this supposed to be okay?

[It's inside the second fridge on the lounge's snack bar.]

He says, still ardent and enthusiastic like a child, making Jin hesitate for a second whether to scold this man on the spot or just let him do whatever child play he's plotting in mind.

Given enough consideration, as he, too, was curious about what he was up to, he rose from his seat and adhered to what Hiro instructed him to do although his heart was nervously hammering inside his chest in anticipation.

When he was standing unmovingly in front of the doubled door fridge, he came to question what was waiting for him inside its tightly shut steel doors.

Inhaling deeply and keeping his breath trapped in his lungs, he slowly opened the fridge, and his squinted eyes turned wide and round, bawling out in blissful mortification.

What greeted his sight was the refrigerator's insides that are stuffed with his favorite Japanese strawberry mint candies. He closed his gaping mouth and spread the other door of the fridge open, only to discover that both sides were the same.

"Strawberry mint candies . . ." W-Why?

[I'm compensating you for your courtesy from last time.]

". . ."

He has now gone mum at the unbelievable sight before him as his head refuses to process what was happening. Does this man not know how ridiculous that sounded? Compensating him?

He only gave him a piece back then.

This felt so wrong.

"I didn't intend to help you to receive something like this in return—No I wasn't helping you back then, I was comforting you from your horrid mood." Jin fulminates as his heart was overwhelmed by the face-and-rich-slapping-splendor. This is too much.

"And is it even allowed to take these with me?" No, he suspects that. They would eventually pay for the extra expenses if ever he does and though he was tempted to take the entire fridge with them, he can't eat all of these at once without having diabetes next.

[Why not?]

Hiro sounded appalled and startled at his sudden outburst, and if he wasn't mistaken he also sounded a bit hurt.

Jin glances above the coffee table where his untouched red velvet cake resides. He clenches his fist and grits his teeth, his moist and plump lips turning thin.

"I c-can't take these with me."

With the cake on his plate, he already has enough sugar to ingest for today.

[I see.]

A pang of raw guilt pierces his heart upon hearing the sorrowful calmness of his dismayed voice.

"Hiro, why are you going to such lengths?"

[I thought you'll like it, don't you at least?]

"I do. Really," He sincerely said when he sounded like he was about to burst into tears from the other line, "But Hiro there's no way I can eat so many in just a few hours of our stay here, and it'll cost me too much to spend." He adds with utmost understanding as if he's explaining something gently for a child to understand.