"I'll put a shirt on and wait for you."

"Stay with me!" I begged, but Rocco shook his head.

"I'm not staying in the bathroom with you Carrie," he said firmly. "That's something you need privacy for. But I'll be in my bedroom, okay? I won't leave until you come out."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

"Pinky promise?"

Rocco frowned, then his face softened into a half-smile and he locked his pinky finger with mine. "Pinky promise," he confirmed. "But don't you dare tell the boys about this," he growled, looking at me sternly. "They'll think I'm soft."

"But you are soft!" I told him.

"Only to you, little sis."

Rocco shut the door, and I used his bathroom as quickly as I could.

"Rocco?" I called, when I couldn't hear any noise coming from his room. "Are you still there?"

"Yeah," he called back. "Just getting changed. I told you I will wait for you."

True to his word, Rocco waited for me. When I came out of his bathroom, he stepped forward and opened his bedroom door. He was dressed in ripped jeans and a black t-shirt that showed off his sculpted body. As long as my muscular brother stayed close to me, I would be okay. He looked powerful. I knew nobody would mess with him.

"Ready?"

"Hold me." I hadn't meant to say those words, they just slipped out, but I was glad they had. Just being able to see Rocco wasn't enough; I needed him actually holding onto me, to feel his touch, to know that I was safe. I knew that as long as he was right there beside me, he wouldn't let anything happen to me.

If Rocco was frustrated by my clinginess, he didn't let on. Instead, he held out his hand for me to take.

"Come on then," he said.

I slipped my small hand inside his and he wrapped his fingers around mine. Together, we walked downstairs.

The atmosphere in the house was subdued. Quiet. Wrong.

Alex was in the kitchen making coffee. Jack was sitting at the kitchen island, eating. My other brothers were nowhere to be seen. For some reason, that made me sad. My life had been turned upside down yet again and my brothers didn't even care?

"You left me alone!" I said to Jack, accusingly.

"I'm just here sweetheart," he said, trying to soothe me. "I haven't gone anywhere."

"I don't want to be alone," I said quietly, my voice barely above a whisper. "Please don't leave me alone."

"You're not alone sweet girl," Jack assured me. "Everyone is home, they're somewhere around."

I shook my head. "No you don't understand," I said.

"She wants to be held," Rocco explained.

He let go of my hand and gave me a gentle push in Jack's direction. "I need coffee. Go and sit with Jack."

It was only a few steps from Rocco to Jack, but even those few steps were almost too much for me. Even though three of my brothers were in the room, just a few metres away, I wasn't touching any of them and I felt vulnerable. I didn't like it.

As soon as I was close enough, Jack wrapped his arms around me and held me tight, hugging me close. "We won't let you go, sweetheart," he promised me.

After hugging me for a few minutes, Jack loosened his grip.

"Sit up here beside me sweetpea, so I can finish my breakfast."

I shook my head.

I hated this. I hated being so afraid. I hated needing my brother's touch to feel safe.

"I'm right here Carrie," he said, sounding a little bit exasperated. "I'm not going anywhere, I just want to finish eating."

I shook my head more forcefully.

From the other side of the kitchen island, Alex looked at me, concerned. I saw worry etched into his eyes. He came around to stand next to me.

"Do you want to sit on my lap, sis, and let Jack eat? Rocco can order some breakfast for you. What would you like? Yogurt and berries?"

I nodded. I didn't want anything to eat, really, but I knew my brothers would push me to eat. Even with unlimited access to good food, I was still small for my age, although I was growing.

Rocco disappeared into the other part of the kitchen, presumably to order me breakfast, and Alex sat down on a stool and gently lifted me up to sit on his lap. I winced when my tender bottom came into contact with his thighs, and he noticed.

"Still sore?"

I nodded, squirming around to find a more comfortable position.

"Damon really did a number on your ass, didn't he?"

Heat flooded my face. Was dignity not allowed in this house?

Twisting, I buried my face in Alex's shirt, embarrassed.

"He used the wooden spoon," I mumbled against his chest. "It hurt bad. I did not like it."

Alex chuckled, his rumbly laughter vibrating against my cheek.

"Spankings are meant to hurt, Carrie-girl," Alex told me, amusement lacing his tone, as he bent his head and kissed my hair.