26. Friend

M A N I K

"What's going on between you two?"

"What are you talking about Cabir?"

"You and Nandini. Did you confess to her or something?"

"Huh?" my face scrunched at the sudden question. How did he even come to know? "No I didn't." I denied anyway. I had confessed to her yesterday in the Ferris wheel and it wasn't anything planned. Instead after those words had slipped out of my mouth, I was so afraid as to how she would react that I just silenced her with my lips. Later she didn't bring up that matter and I was kind of relieved.

"Really?" he gave me an incredulous look.

"What!!" I looked back at him. "Urghh just mind your own business."

"I would gladly have minded my own business if earlier this morning I hadn't seen you guys kiss in front of my car.. like right in front of my car." Cabir emphasized his words more than needed as he jingled his car keys in front of my eyes. "You know it took me almost half of today to digest the scene that I had witnessed."

I lightly slapped his hand away, walking ahead of him. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Don't try to act so innocent. I know you know it." he pointed an accusing finger towards me as he came in front me, blocking my way. "Are you guys together now? Like in a lovey dovey way together?"

"Nosy." I walked past him and he followed behind.

"Seriously Manik!! Shall I go and ask Nandini about this?"

"Don't." I said in a warning tone, turning to look at him. "Don't even mention anything to her. I don't want to scare her."

"Wait! so you guys are really together." his lips stretched into a smile as he stepped forward with open arms, probably to hug me. "Congratulations!!! Like fin-"

"No we are not together in that way." I cut him off as I lightly pushed him away from me. "We are just let's sayyy in testing the water phase."

"Dude that just means you guys are together."

"No." I firmly denied. "We haven't labelled our relationship status yet. She still considers me her friend, her best friend."

He rolled his eyes in disbelief. "Friends don't kiss."

"We do." My shoulder dropped. 'Not just kissing even sleeping around.' I wanted to add but I didn't. I knew very well whatever we had between us was unclear and that it could crumble down with one misstep.

"I honestly don't get you both at all. If you love each other, you just do. Love is love. Why complicate it?"

I let out a scoff. "Yeah love is love. Why complicate it with breaks?"

His forehead scrunched. "Don't bring that up. She is leaving in a week time and I can't believe I am agreeing to let her go to that stupid employee exchange program just because she wants a break from me."

"See. It's just the same with me. Though Nandini hasn't said it but I know she does not want to label what we have between us. And although I hate this whole set up I can't help but agree."

Cabir let out a sigh as he followed behind me. "This whole thing is so unnecessarily complicated."

"I know." I nodded, getting into the elevator. "Wanna grab a drink?" I offered as his steps stopped right outside the elevator.

"In this broad daylight?"

"Yeah." I nodded, pressing the button '0' that led to the parking area.

"Nah may be next time." he denied. "Today I have to go pick her up and I don't want to get drunk before that."