2. Reason why I hate love

N A N D I N I

After the boring date, Manik drove me back home. "So you thought about your wish?" I asked as I plopped myself on the sofa, burying my head on my pillow.

"Nah not yet." He said as he sat down on the floor beside me. I felt him rest his head on my lower back.

"You better think of a decent wish. I won't do something stupid like performing on the street like last time."

"But last time was fun anyway and I know you enjoyed it too." He said with his head still on my lower back. Well I was embarrassed but it wasn't like I didn't enjoy it.

"Not at all. It was just embarrassing." I denied anyway.

"As I expected you both are here." Nyonika aunty's voice made me raise my head from the pillow. "You both messed up your date yet again. This was the fifth date I set up for you two. Do you know how troublesome-"

"Mum I didn't do anything this time." Manik said ever so innocently as he raised his head from my back.

"Yeah of course you didn't do anything. You just sat there, said nothing, heard nothing and did nothing. In other word you ignored her." She huffed, glaring at Manik.

"No way mum. I didn't ignore her." He shook his head lightly. "In fact she was the one who left first. You know I even told her that I could fall in love with her but she just left."

"Wait you told her that." I looked at him.

"I totally did." He nodded. "In fact-"

"Now you both don't even try changing the topic."

Okay that didn't work. I thought it would.

"Aunty this time we really tried our best." I lied.

"Yeah tried your best by telling Eric that Manik is your boyfriend."

"Mum I was just trying to introduce myself to him after my date had left. I clearly told him I am Nandini's boy-" He paused before adding,"friend. See I paused just like this. So that he wouldn't get any wrong idea."

"Yeah he totally did pause." I sided with Manik.

"Hah you two." She let out a sigh. "You both are totally fit for each other. Why not consider marrying each other?"

"Nah we are just friends." We both ended up saying at the same time.

*******
The next morning

"Marry this guy." My dad said rather ordered as he forwarded the photo of some guy, whom I had never seen, towards me.

"I don't want to get married, at least not with someone whom I don't know." I stated firmly.

"Then get to know him. I'll set up a date for you two." He said as he reclined on the chair.

"Dad do I have the right to reject?" I wasn't hoping for anything when I asked this.

"No, you don't." I wasn't even disappointed hearing that. My dad had always been that way, domineering.

"You always want me to do what you want."

"It's all for your good."

"Dad I am your child, not your puppet. Why can't you for once let me take my own decision?" There was no point in talking to him but nevertheless I still tried.

"Isn't it obvious? I don't want you to take some rash decisions and ruin your life. I am doing this all for you because you are my child. And because I love you." He said with an emotionless face, at least that was how it seemed like to me.

"Love! Hah. Love is really brutal." I said as I got up from the dinning table.

"Sit down. I am not done talking." He ordered. He wasn't even worried that I hadn't eaten anything. He just wanted me to sit and listen to him but I didn't, instead I started walking away.

"Nandini sit down." His voice raised and a shiver ran down my spine. No, he never abused me or anything but I was still scared.

"Dad stop forcing your decisions on me." I said with all the courage I had left within me.

"It's for your good." He repeated as he came in front of me.

"For once can you just let me make-" And there I stopped because he gave me a look so swift and so venomous that my words caught in my throat.

"You are going to marry him." He declared. "If you want to know him I can set up a date for you two but don't try anything strange." He warned.

I could feel my insides boiling as he said that and I wanted to shout at him but not a word left my mouth. It was as though a lump had formed in my throat.

My dad, he was one of the reason why I hated love. In the name of love, he controlled me like I was his puppet. I never had a say in anything.

"You haven't been home for a week and right after coming home you are imposing your decision on her." I heard my mum say from up the stairs.

"I am doing this for her good."

"In the name of marriage you aren't selling her for your business, are you?" My mum came down the stairs. "After all for you everything is business. You married me for business. You-" And there they went again. They didn't talk but when they did, they just quarrelled with each other.

I looked at them with a heavy heart before walking out of the house. My house was a mess.

I heard that my parents were once in love with each other but now all their love was gone. In fact I believe my parents would have divorced each other if not for me. I was like a shackle who brought together two people who were already fed up with each other.

They were the reason why I believed that love is an illusion, one moment it's there and the next moment it isn't.

"Hah fuck love."

*****

I am not sure how this chapter was but anyway I am building the base and their backgrounds. So it might have been boring. I just hope it's not though.

And thank you for all the votes and comments in the previous chapter. When I say those votes and comments made my day, I mean it. I was grinning like a fool when I read them.

I am eagerly waiting to read your reviews and comments.

And don't forget to stay safe. Stay happy.
Love ❤️
Aaku