꧁•⊹٭𝙼𝚎𝚛𝚖𝚊𝚒𝚍?! - 𝙿𝚛𝚎𝚐𝚊𝚖𝚎٭⊹•꧂

Start from the beginning

His whispering tickled my ears. However, hearing this, I thanked him and exited the flower shop, almost tripping on my way out. I stared back into the shop as I left, seeing the two males having a verbal battle over the counter. I sighed and continued skipping down the pathway to Kaito's house, glancing to the side and seeing the abandoned beach I always saw on the way home. I had always wanted to go there, I always wondered why nobody visited the beach anymore. Out of curiosity, I swivelled right and took a step down the stairs to the beach. Accidently, I tumbled down the wooden stairs, rubbing the blood off my sore, bleeding head and I got covered in sand. I spat out the sand in my mouth and grabbed my first aid kit, expertly wrapping a bandage around my head after cleaning off the blood. Wiping my tears, I put the kit away and pulled myself up, limping to one of the wooden docks positioned at the end of the beach. Taking a seat, my right leg dangled over the edge, and I inspected my left ankle. It looks like I sprained it... I sighed. Looking up, I notice how beautiful and serene this beach really is. The water glistened gorgeously, and the trees gave just the right amount of shade.

"Why does nobody come here..? This place is beautiful..."

 I smiled as the light breeze blew through my hair. My hand dived into my pocket, exploring until I found my phone, and I held it up to take a photo. Suddenly, I heard a really loud, happy chirp and dropped my phone. I'm so clumsy... Why do my hands not hold things properly? I watched as it fell down into the water, probably about to sink to the bottom of the ocean to never be seen again.  Yet, I shrieked as something long and shiny flicked my phone back up to the wooden surface before it skimmed the water.

"What..? What was that? W-Who's there?!"

I heard a chorus of excited chirps from under the wood, so I leaned down. This proved to be a huge mistake, as the shiny thing that had just saved my phone, splashed a huge amount of water in my face. I spat out the water, listening to the clicks and chirps that somewhat resembled laughter.

"Who's there..?"

Another click erupted from below, I didn't want to put my head down there again...

"I know what you're gonna do if I put my head down, can you come out?"

The sound of water sloshing was very calming, and I could see the shiny thing moving through the water, looking like it was in a hurry as the sloshing got louder and less calming. It looked like it was in a hurry, was something happening? Behind me, I heard a crowd of shouts, peeking back to see a group of fishermen who were now chasing after the shiny thing. I thought fishing wasn't allowed here..? Snapping out of it, I quickly took out my phone and took a messy photo of the beach,  spotting the shiny thing in the corner of the photo. I zoomed in to take a closer look, and was shocked at what I saw. I large, shiny, rainbow tail.

"W-What are you?!"

I whispered, all of a sudden hearing a loud splash.

"WE FINALLY GOT IT! GRAB THE BOX!"

My eyes widened as I watched the fishermen pull a beautiful creature out of the water. It was trapped in a tiny net and it was flailing around. Running off the dock, I sprinted behind a wall of bushes to watch without being spotted. Peeking through the bush, I realization hit me. That tail... I opened my phone for comparison and they looked exactly the same. I was talking to a mermaid?! That's impossible... I clenched my fists and went up to the men.

"H-H-Hey! What are y-you doing?! This is a beautiful, rare creature, and you are just capturing it? Why are you doing this? Plus, the rules say you can't fish here! What y-you are doing is c-cruel!"

The men just laughed and slapped each others backs, some mimicking me. Did I say something wrong? I heard a pained chirp, a result of one of the men stepping on the mermaid's neck to keep it still. I must admit, I got really emotional... The same thing that helped me earlier, that was happy and having fun, was now trapped in a tight net, which might I add, was giving the creature dark red marks on the exposed skin, and it was whimpering. I covered my mouth, this was brutal...