1

My life as a criminal was over. I had finally gotten away from it all. I was born into the lifestyle, raised by the best. I was taught to fight for honor and family.

Although it was in a twisted kind of way of living. In the family, you shot first then asked questions later. At first it was hard to cope with everything. The nightmares would keep me awake for days.

After a while they died off. The memories began to fade and I could start living a semi normal life. The life I had always craved.

Sure, it was a little boring and basic. But it was mine. I went from committing crimes under the radar to helping animals for a living. It wasn't glamorous, but it was enough for me.

I loved waking up in my tiny house and getting ready for work. It was so ordinary and peaceful. I didn't have to worry about looking over my shoulder 30,000 times a day anymore. I suppose that's what happens when you move 100,000 thousands miles from home and into a small town.

I needed a fresh start, and that's what I got. My father wasn't very thrilled about the idea at first. I guess the idea of his little girl moving away, unprotected, bothered him. He eventually accepted it, with the help of my mother.

~Flashback~

"She's learned from the best darling. She knows how to protect herself."  My mother hummed.

"If it's what she truly wants, then I suppose she shall have it." My father grumbled, setting his glass of whiskey on the table.

"Have you told him about your decision?" He added, shifting in his seat.

"It's best if I leave now, that way he'll be able to focus on the business with you. I think I'm the last person he wants to hear from." I sighed, playing with my sleeves.

"Alright, fair enough. I will have Marco take you to the airport first thing tomorrow morning. I expect you to keep in touch." My father said, standing from his seat. He took a few steps towards me, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"You will always be welcomed back. No matter what. You are a Rivera, you were born to lead. When the time comes, we will be here waiting for you to return." He smiled warmly, placing a kiss on my forehead.

~End Of Flashback~

That was the last time I talked to him, or my mother. It had been 2, very long, years.

But they had respected my wishes, allowing me the space that I had so desperately needed.

If they knew the truth, that I never planned on returning home to them, they would be heartbroken. Could you blame me? After living the lifestyle they had provided me with, I wanted out. I wanted out of the Mafia and away from danger.

Even if it meant moving to the middle of nowhere. I couldn't complain though, Arizona had brought me a second chance. A better way of living. When I came here, I immediately applied for a job working at the small pet shop in town. The population being under 5,000 residents made laying low a hell of a lot easier.

No one knew who I was, or feared my name. I was a nobody here, and I loved it that way.

"Hey, Sky! Come give me a hand over here, Mrs. Fin needs help out to her car." Bruce, my boss called to me. I perked up.

"I got it!" I smiled, making my way towards the register. I grabbed the 40 pound bag of dog food and slung it on my shoulder.

"After you, Mrs. Fin." I beamed.

"Thank you so much, sweetheart. I wouldn't know what to do without you." Her wrinkled face shifted as she smiled at me. She was a regular that came in every week. Her grey hair was usually pulled back in a ponytail. She wore her usual blue and red flannel over shirt on top of a worn out old white tee. Blue jeans and cowboy boots accompanied the outfit. All she needed was a cowboy hat and she'd be golden.

She owned a larger piece of land just outside of town. She stayed out there by herself, taking care of her animals and gardening.

I followed her out to her old, beat up farm truck, placing the dog food in the bed of the truck. The paint was chipped and starting to rust a bit.

"Thanks again, dear. I'll be back next week. Lord knows them dogs go through food like it's nothing." She laughed.

"It's no problem at all, we'll see you next week then." I chucked, heading back inside the shop. The air outside was dry, and the sun was at high peak.

I decided to go back to counting inventory for Bruce since his eyes weren't like they used to be. He was in his late 60's, an old and honest man. He often sat up front and watched the register while I ran around and did things in the store for him. I handled shipments, restocking items, special orders, and taking care of the few animals we would get in from time to time.

The baby chickens were my favorite because of how adorable they were.

I continued to count items and mark them down in the notebook. I made notes on what we were low on and what we had a lot of.

I had gotten so focused I didn't even notice the man standing next to me.

The sight of his familiar big, bright, blue eyes chilled me to my core.

It had been two years since I had thought about the possibility of seeing him again.

How did he find me? And who else knew where I was?

"It's been a long time, old friend." He smiled, his Irish accent bringing me out of my thoughts.
"Did you miss me?" He teased, shoving his hands in his pockets casually.
"Next time, at least send me a post card before ditching town. Oh, and your dad says Hi."

His words made my stomach clench in uneasiness.

I told my father I'd keep in touch, is that why he sent Niall? To check up on me?

Or is it because it's time for me to come home?