Chapter Two, "Too Deep Into the Spiral"

(Trigger Warning!: Suicidal thoughts, make-out sessions, people getting drunk, vomiting, and Tom x Matt.)

A Little A/N before you read btw: I do not ship MatTom. I ship Polyworld. (Hee hee) I just wanted to write this because I was bored.

     Matt didn't say anything on the car ride back. Tom didn't look at Matt at all, but at the road instead. Matt's stomach growled as they got closer to the house. When they arrived, Tom kept his gaze anywhere but Matt, making sure to not look at him. Matt went to use the elevator, and Tom ran up the stairs. Tom made it up first, surprisingly. Matt got out of the elevator seconds after Tom opened the door to the apartment. Tom sat down on the couch, looking down at the floor. Matt walked in after, pissed off.
     "What are you hungry for, Tom?" He grumbled as he went to the kitchen.
     Tom didn't answer, continuing to look at the ground.
     "Macaroni it is then," Matt said to himself as he set the water to boil.
Tom's eyes were empty, even more than before. He just stared at the ground, hoping something could change, somehow. Matt looked over to Tom, breaking the rule they had in place.
     "What are you thinking about?" He asked.
     Tom didn't respond. He just sat there, twiddling his thumbs.
     "Are you going to answer me at all? Or would you rather answer to Tord?" He asked, slightly raising his voice.
     The water started to simmer next to him. Tom stared more intensely at the ground, trying to ignore Matt.
     "You can't just ignore me, Tom," Matt growled.
     Tom covered his ears and closed his eyes.
     "You can't just keep shutting yourself out Tom. You have to answer me at some point!" Matt argued.
     Tom kept ignoring Matt but looked like he was struggling to do so.
     "Why are you ignoring me? It's not going to help with anything. It's going to get you into more trouble if you don't open your mouth and tell me what's wrong! So spit it out!" Matt started to yell.
     "Why do you even care? I know you don't! So, please! Stop talking to me!" Tom yelled back, uncovering his ears.
     "Because ignoring me is stupid. For one, you're bringing the entire mood down of the apartment. Two, if we're living together, we have to communicate. Third of all, you know how much it annoys me if you're ignoring me."
     "I have to talk to you, sure, but does it even matter? Do you even care about me, or what I have to say? Or will it go in one ear and be blocked by your narcissism?"
     Matt went red in the face. "Do you seriously think I don't care? And you're calling me a narcissist? Open your fucking eyes, Tom! Who's the one that's been here when Edd had his psychotic breaks? Who's the one who decided to come with you despite Tord being shady as fuck? Who's the one who is offering to cook for you and is asking for you to not treat me like a goddamn wall?!" Matt shouted.
     Tom stared at his hands as Matt rambled on.
     "I'm... I'm sorry," he whimpered as he fell onto his knees, "I wish Tord killed me in that explosion! Maybe then I wouldn't be such a menace."
     Matt stopped. The water was boiling in the kitchen. He didn't know that Tom would go that far.
     "Tom, I-" He was about to say, but he saw the water was starting to boil over.
     He ran back to the pot and added the noodles. Tom walked away, quietly going to his room. Matt was focused on cooking dinner, but he was thinking about what Tom had said. He knew Tom was depressed, hell he even knew that Tom was a bit suicidal, but he didn't know that Tom would wish for something like that.
     "What the fuck, Tom," he whispered to himself.
     He went and got a colander and drained the noodles. He felt like he should apologise and try to explain how he felt and why he got angry, even though he shouldn't have exploded. He looked to the counter and realised he had set out three bowls instead of two. He sighed as he put one of the bowls back. He filled two of the bowls and walked over to Tom's room. Due to his hands being full, he lightly tapped the door with his foot.
     "Tom? Can I come in?" He asked.
     "Whatever," Tom replied with seemingly no emotion.
     Matt slightly opened the door and walked inside. Tom's room was a mess. There were clothes all over the floor, Smirnoff bottles overfilling the trash can, and loose paper all over his desk. Matt carefully stepped over the stuff and carefully placed the two bowls on his nightstand.
     "You should eat something dude." He said as he sat next to Tom.
     "Nah, it'll keep me alive longer, and I should probably make sure I'm gone as fast as possible," Tom explained as if it were a normal thing to talk about.
     "Tom, don't say that," Matt said.
     "Hah! You actually feel bad for once? I can't believe it!" Tom laughed.
Matt shook his head.
     "Tom, I shouldn't have yelled at you. I'm sorry." He said.
     Tom looked at Matt with a smile, like he was about to crack a joke.
     "You know you shouldn't have. Why do you think I'm smiling?" Tom asked as he pulled Matt a bit closer.
     "You're going to hold this over me forever aren't you?" He said.
     "Nah, I prefer to do something a little different," Tom smiled, pulling Matt even closer, "It's called forgiveness. I think you know that word."
     Matt smiled a bit, but then it disappeared.
     "How are you able to do that so easily?" He asked.
     "It's a little complicated. I don't know either," Tom laughed a bit.
     Matt just looked down.
     "It's just so weird for you to be able to forgive like that, for Edd to forgive like that," He said, "Look at me! I'm already pushing this back onto myself again!"
     "Don't do that," Tom said, "It makes you seem less attractive."
     "Oh, you son of a- come here!" He said as he put Tom in a joking headlock.
     "Matt! Stop!" Tom laughed again.
     "Then take it back!" He laughed.
     "It's true though! Stop blaming yourself! You're not hot like that!" Tom said jokingly.
     "Tom!" He laughed as he rubbed his fist against Tom's head. "Take it back!"
     "No!"
     "C'mon, one of us has to let up, and it's not going to be me!" He joked.
     "Fine," Tom sighed, "You are hot. Just know I'm saying that in a platonic way."
     "Good," Matt said as he released Tom from the headlock.
     He looked over to the two bowls on the nightstand.
     "We should probably eat before the food gets cold," Matt suggested.
     "Yeah, we should," Tom agreed.
     Matt went over and grabbed the bowls, passing one to Tom. Tom ate his first, sparkles in his non-existent eyes.
     "How, Matt?" He struggled to comprehend, "How?"
     "Do I get it so good?" Matt replied, "I have no idea either."
     Tom laughed and continued to eat. Matt ate alongside him. It was nice to see Tom actually smile for once. A while later, Tom and Matt finished their food.
     "Thanks, Matt," Tom smiled.
     "Don't mention it, Tom." He said as he took both of the dishes.
     He glanced around Tom's room, which was still the same amount of messy as it was when he walked in.
     "How long has your room been like this?" He asked.
     "It's been... Uhh... Oh... I don't know," Tom stuttered.
     "Your room is even messier than mine, and we know how that turned out." Matt chuckled.
     "Those were some good times," Tom reminisced.
     "Yeah, they were," he replied.
     "I'll clean up my room if it gives you that much PTSD," Tom teased him jokingly.
     "I'd say do it more for yourself, it might help your mental state if you wake up every morning to a room free of clutter." He said as he went over and picked up some of the bottles off the floor.
     Tom got up and started picking up more stuff off of the ground as Matt walked out of the room. Matt went and tossed the old bottles into the recycling, then went back to Tom's room to help him. Tom picked up around half of the things that were on the ground and organized them or put them away. Matt helped Tom with this. Soon the room was cleaned, and they had moved all of Tom's clothes into the laundry. Matt wiped his hands.
     "There we go, isn't that better?" He asked.
     "Yeah... Yeah, it is," Tom added, "Thanks."
     "You're welcome." Matt walked over and sat in Tom's chair, "What do you want to do now?"
     "I do not know. Maybe a drinking game?" Tom suggested.
     Matt thought about the bottles in Tom's trash can.
    "I don't think that's a good idea," He said. "You know how you get when you're drunk."
    "Please, Matt?" Tom begged.
     Matt thought for a moment.
     "Fine, but we should take it easy on the booze," He stated.
     "Yay!" Tom yelled.
     He took out some bottles of Smirnoff and two shot glasses from inside of his cabinet.
     "How long have those been in there?" Matt asked.
     "I have no idea!" Tom smiled.
     "Okay, if we're doing this, let's do it in the living room in case someone gets sick," Matt suggested.
     Tom nodded and they both went to the living room. Tom set out the shot glasses in front of them.
     "So, you wanna go first?" Tom asked.
     "How does this go?" Matt asked, "I've rarely played drinking games."
     "Let's see. For this one... We take a swig for every time we had to deal with Edd's puns," Tom said.
     "You're kidding."
     "Nope."
     Matt sighed and popped open the bottle. He poured some into the shot glass.
     "To start, the time he made the pun about the gingerbread," He said as he chugged it down.
     "When we were gonna be eaten by that purple octopus monster and we were on a roll," Tom added.
     "Oh that one, yeah that was annoying," Matt said as he took another shot with Tom.
     "Oh, that one with the cold chilli," Matt said as he took another shot, starting to feel a little intoxicated.
     "I remember me and Edd were fishing, and he made a dumb joke about a log with my captain's hat on," Tom thought as he drank another shot.
     They continued the game for another half hour until they were really drunk. Tom took 19 shots, and Matt drank 16.
     "By God... We are so drunk, Matt," Tom smiled.
     "Tell me about it... that stuff is fucking strong," Matt said drunkenly.
     "How am I still alive?!" Tom contemplated.
     "How are either of us still alive? Do you know how much shit we have survived through?" He asked as he lightly waved the empty bottle.
     "Y'know Matt... You're not bad. I fucking love you man," Tom laughed.
     Matt laughed and hiccuped, "Meee too man... I'm glad we're still here together," He slipped out as he wrapped his arm around Tom,
"Let's *Hiccup* take this world on together!"
     "Let's!" Tom said as he put his arm around Matt as well.
     Matt laughed and started to drunkenly sing.
     "It was a weekend, and you can't stop us from going to the local dance spot," Matt started to drunkenly sing, then hiccuped.
     "Instead of drinking imported beers, somebody brought a bottle of Orphan Tears," Tom sang along.
     The duo continued to sing drunk until they couldn't remember the words.
     "So what now, Mattie?" Tom asked.
     "I have no clue!"
     "You remember those stupid high school movies we used to watch when we were younger?" Tom reminisced.
     "Yeah, remember the time we tried to make our own?" Matt asked.
     "Dude! Yeah! That was so bad! I remember you and me played the main character and her crush.
     "The audacity Tord and Edd had to try and make us kiss on camera!"
     "I know we were stupid back then, but not THAT stupid!" Tom laughed.
     He and Matt laughed for a good minute.
     "You do have to admit, you looked fantastic in that dress," Matt said, "a bit low cut though."
     "I know right? I totally rocked that dress," Tom smiled.
     "I honestly wouldn't mind doing that last scene now," Matt confessed.
     "Isn't the last scene the stupid kiss one?" Tom asked.
     "Yeah," Matt said, "I still stand by what I just said."
     "Then why don't we do it?"
     "It's kinda gay."
     "I am literally Bisexual."
     "Oh yeah."
     Matt put a hand on Tom's cheek. He scooted a bit closer to him. Tom grabbed Matt's head and pulled him in. Matt turned his head, deepening the kiss. Then they pulled away.
     "You're not bad," Tom complimented.
     "I've had practice, I'm surprised you're that good," Matt joked.
     "If Edd recorded this we would never hear the end of it," Tom laughed.
     "I know!"
     Tom stared at Matt's eyes for a second.
     "Wanna do it again?" He asked.
     Matt hiccuped.
     "Fuck it, why not?" He said.
     Tom pulled Matt in, kissing him again. He pushed Matt a bit, making him fall on his back on the couch.
     "I am so drunk," Tom laughed.
     He got on top of Matt and kissed him again.
     "You're not the only one... Rainwell." Matt slowly spoke out.
     "I fucking love you, Mattie," Tom laughed.
     Matt laughed with him. Tom kissed Matt one last time and pulled him up. Matt felt a gurgling in his stomach.
     "Oh...noo," Matt said as his face turned green.
     Tom looked at him shocked and picked him up, taking him to the bathroom. Matt rushed to the toilet and began to puke. Tom sat behind him, patting his back.
     "Oh god, I'm sorry Matt!" Tom said, "I did not think this would happen!"
     "It's ok, you didn't-" Matt started to say, but stopped and continued to puke.
     "Oh... Why did I let this happen?" Tom asked himself.
     Soon Matt lifted his head up.
     "I think, I think it's all out of my system now," He said.
     Tom sighed.
     "I am so sorry Mattie. I didn't think you'd get this sick," he frowned.
     "It's fine, it's fine. Don't worry about it," Matt replied. "This is part of the whole drinking experience right?"
     "I mean, yeah," Tom said, "I forgot about that."
     Matt stood up.
     "The thing is I don't know if it's the Smirnoff that got me sick, or if I drank too much," He said.
     "It's both for you right now," Tom replied, "If you drink more often, it's if you drink too much."
     "I have no idea what you just said," Matt slurred out, "But I'll take your word for it considering your experience with alcohol."
     "Just get up already you hot idiot," Tom smiled.
     Matt slowly got up and started to trudge out of the bathroom.
     "By god what time is it?" He mumbled.
     Tom checked his phone and said, "8:57."
     "AM or PM?"
     "PM."
     "What do we do now?"
     "Well, I would kiss you again but you just threw up so..."
     "What if we watched one of those high school movies, for shits and giggles?" Matt suggested.
     "Yeah, let's watch the High School Musical movies," Tom said, "Those are the worst but they're good."
     "Disney?" Matt sighed, "Damn, not bad."
     Tom put his arm around Matt and walked to the couch. Then, he let go. Tom grabbed the remote and put on Disney+, starting the first High School Musical movie. Matt was already fading in and out of consciousness.
     "This... this is nice," He said as he passed out on Tom's shoulder.
     Tom sighed and put his arm on Matt's shoulder.

Credits: To Thecheese159846 again for helping me write this, and not judging the fact I wanted to write two men making out while drunk.