Art

The kids were walkin through the galleries, lookin at art, and PJ was feeling inspired feelings.

"How do they make it look so real while also not?? I can see the paint but it looks like a beach!!!!" PJ exclaimed.

"I know! It's beautiful isn't it?" Mexico said. PJ smiled and nodded. They kept walking, and ended up in a exhibit filled with familiar art. Texas gasped.

"PAPÁ!!! ITS YOURS!" Texas exclaimed excitedly. Mexico smiled and nodded, however hoped the posh people around them didn't start trying to ask him about his art.

"Mr. Mexico? Can you teach me how to paint like you?" PJ asked.

"Of course! I'd love too!" Mexico exclaimed. PJ smiled brightly, excited to make art.

"Excuse me sir? Are you Mexico?" Someone asked. Mexico sighed, but smiled politely.

"Yes, I am," Mexico said.

"I love your work! Very symbolic! I'm the artist from the exhibit across from yours, did you see it?" The artist said.

"Mhm, I loved the flowers," Mexico said. The artist chuckled, as if Mexico said something stupid.

"Oh, they weren't just flowers... they were symbolic of everything from youth, sex, femininity, you name it," the artist said. Mexico nodded.

"How quaint," Mexico said.

"What do your paintings symbolize?" The artist asked.

"Just... regular things I guess... I'm not so much trying to hide a message in my art, just telling a story," Mexico said.

"Really? That's cute! Now, what does the one here mean? What's the story?" The artist asked, pointing at a large painting of a desert view from the top of a mesa, the sun setting in the distance, the sky a vivid orange-pink. The canvas was almost touching both the floor and ceiling.

"Ah, that one was my wedding gift to my husband... it's where he proposed to me. We keep it here because we don't have a good place for it in our house where the quality would be preserved," Mexico said.

"Ohhhh you're gay? So that's why it's so colorful in here!" The artist said.

"Heh, not really, it's mostly just a celebration of heritage thing with the color palette I use... plus, I just like the vibrancy," Mexico said. The artist nodded, and then noticed the kids staring at them.

"Oh! Are these your little muses?" The artist asked. Mexico chuckled.

"My son is, and these are his friends. I'm just showing them around," Mexico said.

"My daughter is an artist, she's very good, and wanted this gallery for her art... y'know, because it's across from mine. Your stuff sure is lovely, but hers are so symbolic and touching... you wouldn't mind giving up your space for a young aspirational girl, right?" The artist asked. Mexico stared at them. He got his first piece of art in this gallery when his father pretended to be him, because back in the twenties, people didn't want his art with the white people's art. When he finally felt comfortable enough to claim his art, the owners of the exhibit threatened to kick him out over having 'inappropriate art' (an almost-naked woman, which is something common in the world of art). Britain, who was a lawyer at the time, helped him keep his gallery, however he was heavily censored. It wasn't until the gallery went under new ownership that he could freely keep his art where it belonged. He didn't want to crush the dreams of a poor young girl, however he knew there were several other galleries open to new artists, and that artists were even permitted to share galleries with relatives and/or close friends if they wanted to.

"Sorry, but this is my gallery, and it is very important to me. There is another one open just down the hall that's up for grabs that has a lot of open space, tell her to have at it," Mexico said.

"Ohhhh... but this gallery has a huge window!! My daughters art just absolutely glows in the light-,"

"Get custom spotlights installed,"

"But natural light is better, it gives it more authenticity-,"

"If it's really so important to you, give her your gallery. It has a skylight,"

"But-,"

"HE SAID NO!" PJ shouted.

"CI FAI O CI SEI?" Tito exclaimed.

"MY PAPÁ WAS HERE FIRST!" Texas exclaimed. Tito pushed the artist away while cursing them out in Italian, while Texas and PJ made sure Mexico was ok.

"Their was mean," Texas said. Mexico chuckled.

"Nono... I understand wanting to give your child the best gallery... but they seemed too self-important to want to give up their own before asking if I'd give up mine," Mexico said. Suddenly, Mexico got a call.

M: Italy?

I: hey Mex! You and the kids almost done?

M: Mhm, is everything ok?

I: yeah, me and Philipa stopped at the bar for some virgin margaritas while we waited for you

M: cool, well, we're pretty much done here, so I'll pick you two up and we'll head back to my place for dinner?

I: sounds good!

And so, Mexico picked them up and they drove back home, however on the way Tito begged for them to stop and get gelato.

"What's gelato?" Texas asked.

"Gelato? It's... gelato," Tito said.

"It's Italian ice-cream," Italy said. Texas smiled.

"I love Italian things," Texas said.

"Italian things love you too," Tito said.

So, they got some gelato

I like gelato

It's like ice cream

But it's gelato

Idk if there actually is a major difference, or if it's just a Canadian lobster versus Maine Lobster sort of thing, but meh

Anyway, Texas got chocolate, Tito got vanilla, and PJ got peanut butter chocolate.

Yeah there's no symbolic flavoring and/or Neapolitanness, but y'know, not everything has to be a symbol.

They got home, and Mexico and Texas began teaching Tito and PJ how to make Fajitas while America greeted Philipa and Italy with some Shirley Temples.

It was a good night

And also this is the last chapter probably

Well, there will be one more wrap-up chapter

And then?

ONTO BOOK TWO BBYYYYYY