Abuelo Spain

Mexico was driving Texas down a long, winding road that seemed to be heading to the middle of nowhere. Texas was very nervous to be so far from home for so long.

"Why does abuelo live so far away?" Texas asked.

"I'm not sure... He doesn't like people I suppose," Mexico said. Texas frowned. Since he was still in that 'I love everybody' stage of life, he thought that his Abuelo must've been an evil wizard who lives in a forest and curses tiny children. Texas made sure his water gun was loaded, just in case. 

Soon, they drove down a path through a thick forest, and Texas was almost completely convinced of his 'evil wizard' theory, until they reached a clearing and Texas realized his abuelo lived on a small farm just outside of the forest.

"HORSES!!!!" Texas exclaimed happily, looking out at the horses grazing the fields. Mexico smiled, hoping the environment might make Texas feel more comfortable about being far from home. They saw Spain sitting on his front porch, waiting for Texas to be dropped off. They parked, and got out to greet him.

"Hola papá," Mexico said, giving Spain a hug. 

"Hola hijo... ¿El niño habla español?" Spain asked, looking over at Texas, who was definitely not nervous, and was only hiding behind Mexico's legs because he felt like it.

"Spanglish... he has trouble differentiating the two languages," Mexico said. Spain nodded. They brought all of Texas's stuff inside, and Mexico gave Texas a big hug.

"I'll be back to pick you up next saturday ok? I love you," Mexico said. Texas just nodded silently, trying not to cry, because cowboys don't do that. Mexico left, and Texas silently tried to drag his stuff to his guest bedroom. 

"I'll make dinner while you get settled," Spain said. Texas nodded silently, and dragged his heavy bag to his room. When he got there, he let the tears fall. He knew his papá would come back for him, but Texas already missed home. Texas took out a small wooden briefcase from his suitcase, and opened it up to take out the horse figurines inside. His gramma bought them for him when they were at an agricultural history museum. He remembered the lady working at the gift shop asked if he wouldn't rather get a toy gun like the other boys were, but Texas had plenty. What he wanted more than anything, was his very own horse. 

"Nieto, It's time for dinner," Spain said, opening Texas's door slightly. Texas nodded and walked over to Spain. Spain noticed the toy horses set up all over the floor. "Be sure to clean up before bed, you could trip," Spain said. Texas nodded, the irrational worry of Spain stealing his horses crossing his mind. They sat down to eat, and Texas was nibbling very slowly.

"What's wrong boy?" Spain asked. Texas just stayed silent. He was perturbed by Spain's eye, which was closed tight with a scar running across it. "Well? Why are you so quiet?" Spain asked. Texas was too scared to answer. He knew he couldn't just walk home, or go somewhere else, or shoot his abuelo without consequences, but he was getting more and more homesick by the second and Spain scared him. He was everything Texas learned from movies was bad; tall, slightly longer hair (not hippie-ish looking, more intimidating looking), a mustache, and muscles with not enough bulk to be scary, but just enough strength to be threatening. "Hey, I'm talking to you. The least you can do is say something," Spain said. Texas decided he'd rather run away and hide in his room, so he did. He was worried Spain would look for him, but was relieved that he just left him alone.

Feeling safe in his guest room, Texas decided to play with his horse toys until he eventually fell asleep...

Texas woke up screaming and crying. He had a nightmare, although he couldn't remember what it was about, he knew he was terrified of it. What made it worse, was that he woke up to find he still wasn't home. He was miles away from his dads, his gramma and grampy, his comfortable bed, everything he loved, and was left in an unfamiliar place with a man he was scared of. Texas closed his eyes tightly and hoped he would magically teleport home...

Suddenly, he was being held in a comforting hug. He was picked up off of the floor he fell asleep on and tucked into bed, where he immediately snuggled up into the warm blankets. He felt someone run their hand through his hair and sing him a soft lullaby, and before he drifted off to sleep he heard....

"It's ok águilito, I'm here,"