Good Brother

A few weeks later, Texas was still feeling regrettably uncomfortable with his sister. He wanted her to like him, however she seemed to not understand anything except for if dad was holding her it was time to stare blankly at everything, if papá was holding her it was time to nap, and if Auntie Canada was holding her it was time for food. Texas didn't know where he fit in.

"Dad, when will she start talking?" Texas asked. America chuckled, while trying to soothe California until Canada was out of the bathroom to begin feeding.

"She won't be talking for a while, it's only been two weeks," America said, before walking away to get California's baby bottle, seeing Canada was taking too long. Texas sighed. He was excited to hear that his dad would be taking time off from work to be home, but he was only ever with the baby.

Weeks later, Texas was growing tired of the new normal. Even when his parents weren't busy with the baby, they were too exhausted to hang out with him. Texas never noticed how much he liked the undivided attention until the baby was in the mix. He didn't feel terribly neglected, however change is always difficult to cope with, especially when you thought it was supposed to make you happy.

Texas didn't feel all that happy.

He didn't like that at all.

"Dad, I'm running away from home," Texas announced.

"... uh... Tex, you can't just-,"

"Bye," Texas said, beginning to walk away.

"Texas, stop," America said. Texas sighed.

"What?!" Texas exclaimed. They heard California start to cry in the distance, and America sighed.

"We'll talk later, but don't go running off," America said. Texas crossed his arms, and America realized there wasn't much that would convince Texas otherwise. America held Texas's hand and pulled him along.

"The baby cries too much," Texas said.

"There's not much else she can do to communicate," America said, picking her up and holding her. California immediately calmed down. "Look, you'll get used to her soon-,"

"You keep saying that! Shut up with that! She's been here forever and I don't like her!!" Texas exclaimed.

"Don't say that! And it's only been two months!" America exclaimed. Texas didn't know what else to do, so he threw a tantrum. California didn't like it, so she started crying too. By this point, Canada and Mexico were checking out what was wrong, and America handed the baby over to them. He grabbed Texas's arm and pulled him to his room.

"That's it, you're on timeout," America said. Texas was no longer angry, so he just started crying.

"This isn't fair... you hate me," Texas cried.

"I don't hate you I just- ugh, Why are kids so difficult?!" America exclaimed. Texas began crying more intensely to show his dissatisfaction with his current situation. Suddenly, Canada barged in the room and shoved America out, closing the door behind her. She picked Texas up and cradled him like a big baby.

"Your dad is just stressed, he didn't mean to be mean," Canada said. Texas sniffled.

"I wish I didn't have a sister," Texas said.

"Oh love, your sister is still just an infant. She needs attention, and can't take care of herself in the ways you can... imagine how hard it'd be to not be able to talk, move, eat, drink, or clean yourself at all," Canada said. Texas was silent for a moment.

"I guess that'd be hard...," Texas said.

"Your sister is trying to adjust to this new life just like you. And I know right now you feel like strangers to each other, however once you two get used to this new normal, you'll be able to form the bond I know you were so excited to form," Canada said. Texas nodded.

"But she's magic, because she's a girl, so why can't she magic herself to my age?" Texas asked. Canada chuckled.

"Tex-,"

"You're a girl! You should know!" Texas exclaimed.

"Mhm, our magic develops as we age, so she won't be able to do much until she's walking and talking... she does have one power though, being adorable," Canada said. Texas wanted to be cynical, but had to smile a bit. He wasn't all that used to her yet, but he had to admit, she was adorable. "It's late... you should get some sleep. In the morning, I'll make pancakes," Canada said.

"Can I help?" Texas asked.

"Of course!" Canada exclaimed.

Texas woke up with a jolt. He had been falling in his dream. He didn't like those dreams, especially because he was just having such a nice time flying before suddenly it switched to falling. Regardless, he went to his parents room, where he always went if he had a bad dream.

But they weren't there.

"Not the baby again...," Texas grumbled, knowing his parents were probably in her room. He usually just went back to bed and tried to go back to sleep, but he didn't want to let his sister steal them this time. He figured that since he could communicate if he needed them, he should get priority over them. He walked into his sisters room....

"Dad? Papá?" Texas said, seeing his parents out cold. Turns out that trying to keep up with a babies polyphasic sleeping is a bit torturous to adults with an entire life and family to be thinking about. Even Auntie Canada was passed out, holding California loosely in her arms. California looked up at Texas, and the oddest thing happened...

She smiled.

"...they're ignoring you too huh?" Texas said softly, gently taking her from Canada. California made a cooing noise, and Texas saw that she was trying to struggle her arms out of the blanket she was swaddled in. Texas took her to his room, and unwrapped her from her blanket. She was waving her arms up, as if she wanted to sit up but couldn't. He sat criss-crossed on his bed, and with her in front of him, helped her sit up by gently cradling the back of her head and neck with one hand, and letting her hang on to the other with her fist clenched tightly onto his finger. She was making happy noises, and Texas smiled.

"I don't see you sit up often... your head must be heavy. That probably means your really smart. Auntie Canada says you can't talk yet though," Texas said.

"Blahb," California said. Texas giggled. He never really paid attention to the noises his sister made, but he found them adorable. However, with a yawn, Texas realized he still wanted sleep. He tried to swaddle California as best as he could, and picked her up to take her back to her room... but she began to fuss.

"What's wrong?" Texas asked, but then realized she couldn't tell him. He tried to think about how to be a good brother, and suddenly remembered what Holly said...

sisters like brothers who will give them hugs when they're sad

Texas held California close, but tried to be gentle enough not to squish her. She stopped fussing, and rested her head against his chest. Soon, she fell asleep, and Texas smiled.

"Imma good brother," he assured himself, before he closed his eyes and joined California in dream land.