Chapter 6: So Close, Yet So Far

"It's bugging me that we don't know who rescued Jaune from the village chief," Emerald admitted. "Who else is running around out there? Was it Roman? A friend? A rival?"

"No use worrying about it now," Mercury told her, as the lights dimmed. "Jaune's number one priority is saving his daughter and getting out of this place alive. He can thank his savior later."

The episode began with Jaune getting yet another call on his Scroll. The Huntsman fished the device out of his pocket, and held it up to his ear.

"Jaune, I have been able to get some new info that might help you," Winter's voice greeted him.

"Fill me in," Jaune told her.

"Apparently, there is a religious cult group involved," the Specialist reported. "They call themselves the Church of Salem." At this, the Huntsman scoffed.

"'Church of Salem?' That's a pretty ironic name..."

"I don't get it," Ruby admitted. "How is that ironic?"

"I can answer that," Ironwood announced. "The name 'Salem,' when translated from the dialect of our ancient ancestors, means 'peace.' As such, this organization calls itself the 'Church of Peace.' Now, consider what the members of this church have been trying to do to Jaune, and what they have done to other people." Most of the students cringed and shifted uncomfortably in their seats.

"Peaceful religion my ass," Yang said finally.

"Anyway, I had an unexpected run-in with the chieftain of this village," Jaune told Winter, getting back on track.

"But you are okay, right?" the Specialist demanded.

"Yeah. He almost killed me, but somebody else shot at him and he went chasing off after them, instead." The Huntsman paused, as he thought of something. "Winter, did Atlas send any operatives to this village to back me up?"

"No, as far as I can tell, you are all alone out there," Winter confirmed for him.

"Seriously, though! Who saved our Fearless Leader?!" Nora demanded. "They deserve some recognition!"

"Maybe it was Adam," Ren suggested. "His family lives in Mistral, do they not?"

"Yeah, but shooting people from a distance isn't really Adam's style," Blake pointed out. "He's always been one for more direct confrontations."

"Well, never mind that, for now," Jaune decided. "I've got more important things to do than solving riddles."

"Indeed," Winter agreed. "Hurry up and find that church, Jaune." The Huntsman closed his Scroll, pocketed it, then headed through the hallway he had been standing in, down the stairs, and into the house's ground floor, where a large dining room greeted him. There was no sign of the villagers Jaune had heard talking earlier, but he still brought one hand up to Crocea Mors, ready to unsheathe it at a moment's notice. Then something on the dining table caught his attention. The Huntsman approached to find it was a large key, shaped to look like the totems the villagers used to warn trespassers of certain death.

"That looks pretty important," Jaune commented, before picking the key up. "I'd better take this along, just in case."

"Good thinking," Tai praised. "It would suck to just leave that thing there and then find out you need it for something later on down the road."

Once the key had been safely tucked away within his trench coat, Jaune made his way through the dining room and out of the house. Once outside, he found a small dirt trail beginning at the open gate of the front yard, which led down a small hill. Said gateway was currently being guarded by four villagers, one of whom wore a burlap sack over his head and carried a chainsaw.