Chapter 2: The Welcoming Committee

"I'm worried about Jaune," Pyrrha confessed, fidgeting in her seat. "If a random civilian was able to give him that much trouble, then how is he going to handle three of them?"

"They wouldn't pose a threat to him at all, ordinarily," Cinder pointed out. "But Jaune is too soft. Despite their behavior being more comparable to Grimm, he still sees his attackers as humans, and as such is reluctant to attack them."

"Well, I hate to say it, but he'd better get out of that mindset soon," Qrow grumbled, as the lights dimmed. "Otherwise, he's going to let himself get killed..."

The episode began where the last had left off- Jaune inside the house, as the three villagers advanced on him. Hearing footsteps coming up the porch, the Huntsman turned and sprinted up the stairs, finding himself in a small bedroom with an unblocked window looking out over the house's front yard. Jaune took a deep breath, then charged forward and lunged out the window, landing in a rolling crouch amidst shards of falling glass. He quickly pivoted on his heels, turning to face the house, as one of the villagers poked their head out the doorway from inside.

"There he is!" the man shouted, pointing at Jaune threateningly. "I'm going to kill you!" The villager practically burst from the house, a fence post raised over his head.

"Well, it is the moment of truth, Mr. Arc," Ozpin said gravely. "Fight or flight, which will you pick?"

Jaune's other hand reached behind his back as the villager closed in, before swinging up over his head as the fence post descended upon him. His scabbard folded open above him, transforming into his signature shield just in time to block the heavy wooden beam. The Huntsman followed up with an upwards slice of his sword in front of him, lopping the fence post in two. Undeterred, the villager simply hurled the other half of his makeshift club aside, before grabbing Jaune's shield, and pulling the Huntsman up onto his feet. One of the man's hands shot forward to grab Jaune by the neck, as he began to snarl and growl like a rabid animal.

"Cinder is right," Weiss whispered, highly disturbed by the events unfolding onscreen. "Whatever humanity these people had before is completely gone now."

"But how?" Ruby demanded, her silver eyes wide with frightened confusion. "What could possibly make someone act this insane."

Jaune stared into the raving villager's wild, empty eyes, and then let out a resigned sigh.

"I'm sorry," he said softly, ignoring the hand clamped around his throat. "But it's either you or me." Then he brought up Crocea Mors, and shoved his sword's blade straight into the man's howling mouth.

A large amount of the audience cringed, as Ironwood nodded solemnly.

"It had to be done," the General declared.

The villager gurgled, blood leaking out of his mouth, then collapsed onto his knees, clearing Jaune's vision enough to see a second villager charging towards him, tire iron in hand. Thinking fast, the Huntsman let go of his sword to unholster his other gun, Ivory, aiming in between the man's eyes and firing. With a cry of pain, the villager halted his advance to clutch at his face. A second later, Jaune tilted his head to avoiding a mallet spiraling towards his face, as the third villager exited the house, and began to rush forward. The Huntsman simply took aim again, and shot the man in the leg, causing him to tumble to the ground. Jaune holstered his pistol, then took hold of his sword, and pried it out of the first villager's mouth, allowing them to fall facedown in the dirt. He then calmly turned towards the second, who was now glaring him, blood oozing from a bullet hole in the center of his forehead.