Chapter ThirtyThree

Start from the beginning

"And... wife? Girlfriend?" The doctor asks as we begin walking down the hall, in the direction of an open door.

"Uh" I swallow "wife" I still hadn't got used to the fact that I'm now a wife and this is the first time someone's asked me of my marital status.

I side eye Hex and feel my cheeks heat slightly at the cocky smirk that paints his mouth, his pain forgotten.

I should be used to seeing Hex get stitched up by now but the sight of the needle numbing him and the needle that sews up his palm is still a sight I can't stomach. I stand behind the doctor so that I could still be there for Hex but not see the blood and needles.

Hex handles it like it was nothing. If he wasn't looking at me over the shoulder of the doctor then he was looking down at his hand, watching as the needle threads in and out. I can almost read his mind as he observes the doctors technique so that he can stitch himself up next time. I almost scoff out loud at the thought, he can't truely think I'd ever let him do that.

"These should dissolve on their own so no need to come back and have them taken out. Seeing as it is your hand though I would advise wearing some type of protection while working" the doctor informs us before we leave and head to the hospitals entrance.

"I'll meet you at home" I kiss Hex goodbye as he heads in the direction of his car. I watch closely, even once I'm in my car just in case he had trouble but he made it safely. I have no doubt if he can drive himself to the hospital then he can drive himself home.

I get home first, Hex pulling into the driveway just behind me.

I had planned to go back to work but Harley sent me a text saying that it hasn't been busy and to not bother coming back. The last thing I wanted to do at the moment was make Stevie money anyway.

"How're you feeling?" I ask as I lock the door behind us. Hex's hand remains wrapped in clean and blood-free bandages.

"I'm fine. What happened at work?" Hex gets straight to the point. I turn and look at him, my face that of shock at the fact he remembered and that I now had to explain what had happened. "Something pissed you off, tell me what it was".

I shake my head and walk into the kitchen. Hex follows close behind me, his chest heating my back.

"Stevie called me into his office" I begin.

"About Harley again?" He guesses as he crosses his arms across his chest and a deep frown sets on his face.

"No" I push back my baby hairs. "He wanted to congratulate me on the wedding" Hex nods for me to continue, knowing there's more to the story. "And that was the end of him being a decent person" I mumble loud enough for Hex to hear. "He wanted to know if we were planning to have children anytime soon so that he could - quote on quote 'make the best decision for Darby's."

Hex's face remains in a deep scowl with his arms crossed as he takes in what I had told him. I can feel his own anger bubbling through our bond as he processes the information.

"He would fire you if you got pregnant?" He questions but it comes across as more of a statement.

I nod "pretty much" I lean on the counter behind me and watch Hex as his eyebrow ticks and his jaw clenches.

"What'd you say?" His eyebrow arches, I hadn't expected that question.

"I... told him to mind his own business" I reply quietly.

Hex nods, approving of my answer. I turn and grab a glass from the cupboard, filling it with water and taking a sip.

"Good job, baby" Hex praises me. "But you know that if that ever happened I would support you".

I nearly choke on my water as he speaks.

"What do you mean?" I ask hesitantly. I hope I hadn't given Hex any ideas. The fear of that thought chills my bones.

"If there ever came a time where you couldn't work I'd support you" he makes clear as he uncrosses his arms and leans on the kitchen island. "If you decided you don't want to work anymore, I would support you".

I feel the pricks of tears in the backs of my eyes as his words register. The realisation that I would never be alone again fills my soul. The reassurance that if I ended up in financial ruin that Hex would be there to pick me back up.

"I would do the same for you" I whisper across the silent room to him. His lips pull up in a small smile.

"You already have, Poppy" flashbacks of the time before the mechanic shop and just after Hex had been released from Hellbound flash through my mind. It hadn't felt like I was supporting him, I was just being his Darling.

I talk around the lump in my throat "Well... I would do it again".

The light in Hex's eyes becomes brighter at my words and he steps around the island, wrapping an arm around my waist and pulling me into him.

"I love you, baby" he whispers against my forehead before pressing a kiss to the same spot. "I would do anything for you" he says even quieter.

"I love you too, Hex".