Ep 66: Please See

Start from the beginning

My feet move on their own to reach Mars. But the man next to her blocks our path with his body. He dares to descend his fangs in my presence. His scent, white hair, and the blue veins popping on his arms are all evidence of a noble vampire.

"Ed," Mars calls to the man in a tired voice. It breaks my heart hearing her voice like this. It's as if the joyful Mars I know is on the verge of blooming has shrunk.

Why?

I don't need an answer. I'm staring straight at my answer. Ed must have done something to her.

I look at the vampire Mars just called 'Ed.' Immediately I connect the dots in my mind. Somehow, Ed has transformed into a noble vampire. I have never heard of a werewolf becoming a noble vampire before, but that is the least of my worry.

As a response to his fangs, I take out my claws. My entire fiber of being is ready to lunge at this noble vampire. If I have to fight him right now, I will. I am not afraid, even if I have to go against all the werewolves and vampires in this pack. I look back at Sky. The boy is ready as well.

Does Mars know that her blood had a part in resurrecting Sky? Does she not know how powerful her entire being is?

Because when my gaze returns to Mars... she looks so defeated.

"That is not your Ed, Mars," I hold her gaze while trying to reach into our bond again. Why won't she let me in?

Mars gulps hard. She looks conflicted. Then she looks down at the small figure she has been carrying.

My breath hitches when I see the most beautiful baby in her arms. She is sleeping but her small face is contorted as though she can feel Mars's troubled feelings. The baby tosses around a couple of times. Then she opens her eyes. Her clear blue eyes stare straight at me and she smiles as if she welcomes me.

It's a weird feeling, but I know I have loved her since then. Even if she is not my blood, or not related to me at all. Even if she has blue eyes like Ed's and not green eyes like mine. Even if she is a werewolf pup and not a lycan pup.

She comes into my life so I feel like she is already mine.

Mars walks past Ed with the baby. I foolishly thought that she would come home with the baby with me and Sky. But she won't look at me... as she gives the baby to me. Not really understanding what she's doing, of course, I take the smiling baby happily in my arms. The baby is even unfazed by the fact that I am in my lycan form, or that I have cuts and blood all over me.

I hold the precious baby gently with two hands. The baby looks at Sky next to me and she giggles. Sky, too, freezes on the spot while staring at the baby.

Oh, I don't care what Ed says, or what anyone says. This baby is mine. This baby belongs in my life.

"Hello, Lyall," Mars finally says something. But her voice seems distant. She still won't look me in the eyes, even after she gives her baby to me. "Sky," Mars greets Sky too.

Then she takes steps back from us. Just like that.

Out of instinct, both Sky and I take a few steps to Mars, but that son-of-a-bitch just has to block us again with his body. We stop in our tracks while Mars is fidgeting behind Ed. She keeps looking down, just like the rest of the pack.

Nothing can prepare us for what Mars says next.

"I have decided to stay."

That asshole is the only one smiling. Ed looks triumphant while I feel like sinking. I hate every second of this.

"Mars," I call her, trying to understand why she is doing this. And if she has decided to stay, why would she give her baby to us? I know instantly that this pack is not safe, that's why Mars wants the baby out of the pack. But why does she choose to stay? What is chaining her with this pack?