Ep 58: A Nightmare of Reality

Reality shatters inside me like a glass being blown to pieces. They then disintegrate into glass dust and disappear with the air. They make me question if I have perceived reality wrong all this time.

Or... perhaps I am in a dream?

I can't move for those initial seconds. My eyes keep blinking themselves, hoping that with each blink the sight in front of me will disappear, that I will wake up from this nightmare, or that they are just pictures that my mind makes up.

With every second passing, I hold my breath, hoping that it is not real.

That is not me. Can't Lyall see how her face and body are so different from mine?

It can't be real, right?

That is not me!

THAT IS NOT ME!

Please...

...This can't be real.

But the pictures in front of me won't disappear. Worse, time keeps on moving, not caring that I haven't been able to process what's in front of me. In the next cruel seconds, Lyall undresses the woman right in front of me. His firm yet gentle movement breaks my heart, making it bleed right on the spot.

Seeing him smile and laugh at the woman feels like a stab to me. Didn't he say I am the only one who can make him laugh like that? Can't he see that that woman is not me?

His touch is supposed to be mine. His warmth is mine.

He vowed that to me just a few hours ago.

"Lyall!" I try to shout his name, try to reach our bond deep inside. I can feel it. The bond is like a tightly tied knot that connects both of our mental states. Ever since we have claimed each other, the mental walls surrounding our consciousness have softened, allowing us to check up on each other's thoughts once in a while.

But right now... I can't enter his mind at all. He has his mental walls up so high and thick that not even Sasha can even claw her way in.

No matter how loud I scream inside, no matter how hard I bang on the walls, my voice can't pass through the wall.

"Lyall!!" I scream out his name again. And again. And again. But it seems like they can't hear me. I look at our surroundings. The warriors in hiding are supposed to realize that this is wrong, right?

In a frantic, I run towards them, thinking that perhaps if Lyall can see me, he'd snap to his senses.

My feet stumble upon something solid on the ground. As soon as my body hits the ground, my face turns instinctively to see what it is that makes me fall.

I don't think my heart is beating as soon as I see the pale, slumped face next to the tree bark. It's a man dressed in a black cloak. From his scent, I can tell that he is a werewolf. His claws are out, his eyes are opened, but they are lifeless. His neck has been turned into an awkward angle. And his skin is bluish on the lips.

It's a corpse.

Before I prop myself up, my eyes search for other spots where I know our warriors should be hiding. I sniff the air several times too and heightened my sense of hearing.

The tang smell of blood fills my nostrils. And no heartbeats in the vicinity other than Lyall's, my own, and that woman's.

Why have I only realized this now? I was so preoccupied seeing Lyall with another woman that I let my guard down, that I blocked all my other senses.

We have been compromised. Our warriors have been murdered.

Does that mean Lyall has been manipulated? Or was it all just an illusion, after all?