Chapter 13: Ranni the Witch

Start from the beginning

"It pleaseth me to see Torrent, hale and hearty. But Tarnished, what business hast thou here? I have no memory of inking thee an invitation."

The Tarnished does not speak. From observing his comings and goings, Ranni has already discerned that this is his Thing, so to speak. He does not communicate verbally, but that doesn't stop him from giving her a knowing smile and a look that confirms Ranni's suspicions.

"Ah. Quite the sleuth, aren't we? Indeed, tis I. Ranni the Witch. Yes, I stole a fragment of the Rune of Death, and used it to forge the godslaying black knives that brought low Godwyn the Golden, through fearsome rite. I did it all. Is that what thou wisheth to hear?"

The Tarnished cocks his head to the side, and Ranni sniffs indignantly.

"Sadly for thee, the cursemark thou seekest is not to be found here. I have slain the body I was born into... and cast it away. Tis upon that flesh that the cursemark is carved."

Her tone is uncaring, and it is true. Ranni finds herself... divorced from her actions that Night of the Black Knives. Circumstance has seen her become something else from the one who initially set those actions into motion. Lunar Princess Ranni is dead. Ranni the Witch is what remains.

But of course, the Tarnished is likely little satisfied with just that much. The corner of Ranni's mouth quirks up and she hums.

"Dost thou wait for answers? And why should I reveal the location of my previous body to thee, hm?"

Shaking her head, Ranni let the fringe of her large brimmed hand hide her face for just a moment.

"I performed the act not to bury the past, nor in shame of the deed. But all the same, begging will compel me not a jot. The cursemark thou sleekest is not here. That is all I will say. Now, begone."

There. This time around, the encounter had gone the way she intended, from start to finish. Ranni preferred to think herself above the banal act of pettiness, but perhaps that was not entirely the case here. This Tarnished had... irked her, a fair bit. How long had it been, since any could say they'd done so? Even Seluvis and the schemes of his that he thought she knew nothing of were more a subject of disgust and revulsion, than irritation.

To her mild surprise, the Tarnished does not grow angry or upset with her. Twould have been amusing, if this was where he broke his silence, out of sheer frustration at her obstinate refusal to give him what he wanted. But instead, the silent Tarnished merely smiles, bows his head in acknowledgment, and turns and walks out.

Ranni watches him go, slightly nonplussed for a moment, before she begins to ready herself to jump down from her perch. Luckily, she took that moment to collect herself, because before she can do so... he walks back in, as if he hadn't just left, as if this was a whole new interaction.

Stilling herself upon her seat, Ranni the Witch opens her mouth to speak, only to watch in silence as the Tarnished drops to one knee before her, his head bowed low. Truly? He can't seriously mean to... and yet, it would seem so. Long has it been, since Ranni was so... confused by another's actions. People were, in her experience, normally quite easy to understand. But this Tarnished... he baffled her, at times.

Cocking her head to the side, the Ranni the Witch purses her lips together.

"Thou wouldst render me aid? Is that thy proposal?"

Lifting his head, the Tarnished's expression has become altogether solemn, as he slowly nods. Peering down at him piercingly, Ranni searches for deceit... and to her mild surprise, finds none. But that just means he's quite the liar. After all, she already KNOWS what he wants, doesn't she? She will not be tricked or fooled, no matter how good a liar this Tarnished is. Though she does briefly wonder at just how taken in the kindling maiden must be, at this point.