Chapter 10

*Night of the Christmas Banquet*
Avaenará POV:
Mira and Darla were helping me get ready for the banquet. Every year the royal family would wear white for the Christmas banquet. No one else was allowed to as it was a tradition only for the royal family.

I was wearing a red dress with green fabric all around over the dress I wore a red robe and a green shawl. All over my dress were gold flowers. My hair was out into a high bun with a red bow at the back, multiple gold pins sticking out, two combs, and green jade pins and headpiece.

 My hair was out into a high bun with a red bow at the back, multiple gold pins sticking out, two combs, and green jade pins and headpiece

A knock came from the door announcing my sister was her. "Let her in." In came my sister in a simple sparkly red dress decorated in gold lotuses. Over her dress she wore a short sheer robe with two strands that went down the center. Her heart was pulled up into a bun with two bunny ears at the side, holding gold pins and a gold crown of phoenix.

 Her heart was pulled up into a bun with two bunny ears at the side, holding gold pins and a gold crown of phoenix

"Sister the guest are arriving. Shall we go?" She asked. I nodded.

We left my chambers and walked towards the throne room. On the way I saw BTS in matching red suits with snowflakes. "Well don't you all look dashing." I teased. I could see they were trying to hide the blush on their faces while I heard my sister giggle.

"Let us escort you imperial highnesses to the throne room." RM says. We agreed and they lead us there. We heard the trumpets play and the speaker announce our presence as the doors open.

I walked in and saw a few people looking somewhere with nervous faces. I followed their gaze and saw something truly disrespectful. Rashta was in a full red ball gown. It looked like she was about to get married. She seemed to not notice her mistake. I quickly calmed down because I didn't want the children to see me go into a rage.

I turned and looked at my people. "Tonight is a joyous night. Certainly for the children from the orphanage." I smiled. "Every year I give them gifts and some even get adopted into a loving family. That shall not stop now. Let this night be a merry one." Everyone cheered as I sat down. One by one my sister and I handed out a present to the children. Once we finished passing out the gifts I watched with a smile as the children's faced lit up with the presents. Some with happy tears as they found out they got adopted by a loving couple or family.

Out of the corner I see Rashta come up to me. I turn to her with a stoic expression. "Can I help you mistress?" I say with venom lacing my voice. Rashta shudders back before standing straight again. "I would like to know where my gift is your imperial majesty!" Rashta excitedly says.

I was a bit taken back. Since she said it out loud everyone looked towards us. "Your gift?" "Yes. The children got gifts. I thought I would get one too!"

Everyone started to murmur and gossip.

"She really thinks she's going to get a gift?"

"This was suppose to be a joyous day for the children at the orphanage."

"Why would her imperial empress give the girl a gift? She a mistress."

"The emperor must already spoil her enough."

I look at Rashta before laughing. Rashta was a bit taken back before laughing as well. My laughed died down as I gathered myself. "You don't have a gift Rashta. Why would I give you one?"

Rashta's laugh stopped before a frown met her face. "B-Because her imperial majesty gave the children gifts. Rashta thought she would get one too."

"Rashta you do understand these children are from the orphanage. They didn't have anyone to give them gifts which is why the Christmas Banquet was made. You are a mistress. I'm sure the emperor gives you plenty of gifts. Like this dress you wear right now." I gestured.

"You already embarrassed yourself by wearing it." She looked shocked. "W-What?!"

"During the Christmas Banquet no one but the royal family is allowed to wear red as it is a royal tradition. Do you see anyone else wearing red?" Rashta looked around and saw nobody wearing red, but a different color. She was the only one. "I would assume the emperor or empress told you about this rule as they knew since they were young. Perhaps you really didn't know or you decided not to obey." I looked towards Soveishu, seeing he was looking away in shame.

"I suggest you get out of my presence before you embarrass yourself even more." Rashta couldn't say anything so she just sobbed and ran into Sovieshu's arms. Soveishu in my direction. "Imperial empresss must you embarrass lady Rashta like this?"

"Me embarrass your mistress? You embarrassed her yourself Soveishu. Surely you saw her before you walked into the throne room and saw her wearing red. You know our rules and customs. It's your fault to blame."

"The eastern emperor truly is in denial."

"Her imperial majesty, the emperor, and empress knew each other since they were children. Surely he knew of this rule."

"They are trying to embarrass her imperial majesty on purpose."

I quickly stand. "I apologize for this turn of events. Let this not soil the rest of this wonderful night. Please enjoy the best you can. I apologize again."

The rest of the night was me avaoiding Sovieshu and Rashta. Navier seemed to as well. She either spent time with me or with Prince Heinrey who arrived a few days after them.

At the end of the night I returned to my chambers early. After having my tea and water I quickly tucked in and fell asleep, drifting into a dream.