ch 3

The ride was silent save for the quiet radio and the hum of the driver. When Minho saw the familiar buildings of the Seoul shopping mall, he took out money from his wallet and paid the driver for the fifteen-minute drive. He got out as the car came to a stop, breathing in the familiar atmosphere.

"Thank you, young man," the driver smiled as he drove away. "I hope you have a great trip."

"A good trip, huh?" Minho thought as he passed through the crowded streets and toward a calmer neighborhood. A few children were kicking around a soccer ball at the playground, looking up when they saw the eye-catching outfit of the boy.

"Woah, you look so cool!" a little boy cheered. "You look like a celebrity! What are you doing here, older brother*?"

*a/n: in Korea, it's common for little kids to formally call older (but still young, like teens) people "older brother/sister" if they don't know their name. Minho doesn't know any of these kids. He lowkey hates chil-

"I'm here to see some people," Minho replied, ruffling the hair of the child. "Does older brother really look cool?" There was a sense of pride swelling up from his chest after hearing a stranger compliment him. Maybe living this new life really was okay.

"Quite," came the voice of an unfamiliar boy, snapping Minho out of his thoughts. He and the child turned their attention to the owner of the voice, confused at the sudden appearance of another.

"Oh!" The little child ran up to the young male with a wide smile. "Cousin! How are you?" 

"I'm well. I brought you some snacks," said the stranger, hugging the child. As the two conversed, Minho took his time examining the boy that looked his age. He had obsidian black hair shaped in a messy but stylish, short wolf cut, streaks shining in the afternoon sun. And his eyes... His eyes glowed golden yellow and were accentuated by his tan skin. When those eyes glanced up into his, Minho looked away.

"Were you trying to show off your outfit to my dear little cousin?" the boy asked, his mouth creasing upward from the teasing.

Somehow embarrassed under the deep gaze of the stranger, Minho countered, "I was just playing with him. I'll be going on my way now."

"I see," hummed the black-haired boy. "I'll see you later then."

"Later?" Minho thought. "Why would I see a stranger again?"

The cawing of a crow caught Minho off guard, prompting him to look up at the top of a building where the system was sitting. It swooped down and landed on his shoulder.

{ Host, please tell me where you are going, } Casper demanded telepathically.

Minho clicked his tongue and muttered under his breath, "You've asked me so many times already. Are systems usually this nosy?"

"Oh my god, you have a pet crow?!" the little children gushed, abandoning the soccer ball and running up to Minho. They all asked to pet Casper, which Minho allowed, and, of course, his pride swelled up again as the kids clamored about how amazing he was.

"I didn't know you had a pet. How interesting," the stranger commented as he raised his eyebrows, intrigued. He, too, walked closer to observe the unusually docile wild animal. When he lifted his hand to pet the bird, Minho pushed it away.

The boy inspected his hand before looking back at Minho in confusion.

"You don't know a lot of things about me," the white-haired boy said, backing away. "Now, I have to go somewhere. Bye, little kids!" He waved farewell to the neighborhood children and avoided looking back at the golden-eyed boy. How the stranger knew him, Minho didn't know, but something about his gaze gave Minho goosebumps.