Two Girls, One Solo

No one had noticed Genevieve that night. I was the only one who did, and maybe it was way better that way.

Abby didn't know about the fight between Melissa and Mom, and it was probably also better that way. Maddie had opted to ignore me, and I literally couldn't care less. While she's living in her little fantasy that Genevieve is innocent, I've got all of the girls on my side. Except for Asia, but she doesn't really count as a part of the group.

It had been about two weeks after the last competition, and everything had felt a little different. As I already mentioned, Melissa and my mother ― who were usually a dynamic duo ― wouldn't even glance in the other's direction. It was the exact same as Maddie and I, but while I had the rest of the girls to hang out with, Maddie only had her sister and Asia. Kenzie ― for some reason ― was also mad at me. The issue was between Maddie and I. There was no need for Maddie to get her sister involved and make her pick sides.

The infamous "All's Fair in Love and War" episode had also aired, basically dividing the growing fandom. It was either picking the girl that wasn't even there or the rest that were actually on the show. From what I had heard, Genevieve had already started receiving some backlash, and even though when Zane told me he looked pretty upset, I couldn't help but smile. I wonder how her now declining popularity is going to affect the show. She has a couple of understudies, so would they kick her out and have someone else take her place? I mean, if they keep her as the lead, all of their reputations will be tarnished.

That's too bad for little Miss Golden Girl.

When Kendall and I ― followed by my Mom and Jill ― entered the studio that afternoon, Abby was listening to some music. After all the "hellos" and the innocent smiles, we entered the dancer's den and started warming up. When Christi arrived, she was shocked to say that Abby had actually smiled at her. It was weird, but who knows at this point.

A couple of minutes later, we entered studio "A" and were greeted by an overly excited Abby Lee Miller. She looked happy, so it was obvious she hadn't been told about the situation that occurred a couple of weeks ago. However, when she explained the reason she was happy, it wasn't because of us. It was because she had attended an off-show competition with her senior group and won in all the categories. Still, no one complained about her being happy. It could be useful for us after all.

Abby revealed the bottom headshot, and my mouth opened in shock. "Kendall. You were fourth. Maybe without the crying, you would've been higher."

Crying? Why didn't you say anything when Maddie was bawling her eyes out back in New York because she broke a promise?

"Mackenzie, do you realize that Asia waltzed in here, pushed you out of the way, took over, and every time I entered her in a competition, she won?" Abby continued. "It's the same that happened with Julianna." She raised her eyebrows. "Does that tell you something?"

Oh, she's calling Annie by Julianna now? Damn.

"Next is Giselle. I don't know what happened. I don't know if you weren't focused or what, but you were a mess out there." Abby explained. "You need to really step it up this week."

Maddie

Paige    Asia   Chloe

Brooke   Nia   Giselle   Mackenzie   Kendall

"So, we will be attending Power House Dance Competition in Fort Wayne, Indiana." We all clapped. "We have a very serious, if you will, group routine. The group routine is entitled "Living with the Ribbon". Now, you are all familiar with a pink ribbon. People every day are living with cancer. They're beating the odds. They're surviving." She turned over to the mothers. "Melissa, you okay?" Melissa nodded. "Why did you get choked up there?"