The Beginning Of The End

GISELLE

"Annie on Broadway, visit TICKETMASTER.com."

I cringed at the sight of the hideous red dress. Correction, I cringed at the sight of the red dress and my sister's dyed red, curly hair. I grabbed the remote controller, turning off the TV before standing up.

Today was the beginning of another competition season. Unlike last year, Genevieve wouldn't be joining us. After nationals, she went to New York for the callback audition, competing against five other girls. She got the titular role for the musical, and she was now living out everyone's dreams on the Broadway stage. We all met up to go to the opening night a week ago, and we barely got to have a conversation before she was dragged away for an interview.

Now, Genevieve was considered a Broadway star, while the rest of us are just some dancers from a TV show.

I decided to join last year because it looked fun. Maddie talked about it all the time, so I decided to give it a shot. However, the show has been changing since I first joined with Kendall, and I've got no idea of what is going on anymore. The Hylands stopped showing up a month ago to the studio, but we still hung out and went to watch "Annie" together. Both Zieglers were pushed harder and harder, especially Maddie. After Chloe beat her, she had been working the double to get better. The whole deal with Nick fell months ago. It was more of a silly crush than it was a serious relationship.

Abby also had her own competition show, Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition. I hadn't heard much from that one, but I knew that it was filmed in California and that some really good dancers competed. No one would find out until the show aired. The first episode is set to air the day before we leave for our first competition of the season.

I hadn't realized how much of an influence my sister indirectly had on our teacher's teaching methods. We only had two classes with her over the break, but we were told the same thing both times: be like Genevieve.

Not all of us got partnership deals with Skechers, appeared in a TV show, and are currently starring in a musical on Broadway.

Apparently, having the same last name as Genevieve had its downsides. They all believed success was a gene that all of us had, particularly me. I wish I had that gene, but no.

I wasn't Genevieve Astrid Turner, Broadway's Golden Girl.

I was lucky that my mother wasn't Melissa or Jill, or they'd be talking about Genevieve the whole time. Luckily, my mother's Nicole, the one who doesn't forget they have other children. Don't get me wrong, to say that she was thrilled for Evie was an understatement, but she didn't talk about it all the time and rubbed it on everyone's faces. Yes, she missed her. We all missed her. She's been staying with her agent, Kara, ever since August, and isn't scheduled to return for a while. I was surprised that she'd get to miss the filming of Dance Moms, but then I remembered, she was the show's golden girl.