Chapter 1: Mission Freak

✦ ⋆ ⭑ ⋆ ✦

✦ ⋆ ⭑ ⋆ ✦

Grace Harrington

"I think I'm doing everything right," Steve says loudly over the blaring volume of his car radio.
"maybe it's just the girls in Hawkins."

"Definitely, because none of the girls liking you means there's something wrong with them" Robin states jokingly as she fixes her eye makeup.
"Gray, tell him he's full of shit" she says with an excited tone.

She always gets giddy when Steve and I argue.

I look up ahead of me from the back seat, tune into the conversation and look into the front view mirror. "There is no point in telling him that Rob, you know him. He will always be full of shit" I state with a grin.

"Very funny Graceland" He spits and locks eye contact through the mirror. I roll my eyes and smirk as I sit back into my seat.

While we drive I play with the strings attached to my leather boots. Something that I've always done.

We finally pull up to school and I quickly make my way out of the car. Pulling my bag over my shoulder right before I shut my door I hear Robin speak to Steve.

"Is she any better?" Robin whispers.

I roll my eyes fully shutting the door and make my way towards the front of the school.

The air is chilled today. A light breeze flows across my face as I pass the other students. I was always told being a senior was like being royalty. Anyone who ever said that, anyone being my brother, is full of- well shit.

While walking into school I scan the hallways. I see people standing with friends and hugging each other. I see people from student council hanging up banners for the upcoming championship game. I see the jocks passing back and forth a basketball.

Everything seems perfectly normal, like nothing terrible had just happened.

While walking up to my locker I spot Max. My eyes read over all of her. Her tired eyes, red cheeks, messy hair, pale skin...she looks exhausted.

Thank god I'm not the only one.

A large group of cheerleaders rush past me almost throwing me into my locker. Right todays the pep rally.

I place my bag into the locker, shut it and head to the gym with the rest of the school.

I glance over the students and my eyes meet Max's. She lightly smiles in my direction. I make my way over to her, Dustin and Mike.

"Look, I'm not comparing girlfriends or anything but Suize is a genius who can do anything you could only imagine" Dustin says to Mike.
"Have I mentioned that El has saved the world...twice...with her hands, Dustin"

"And yet you still have a C in Spanish" Dustin says with his head titled. Mike and I furrow our brows.
"Do you really use your girlfriend to change your grades Dustin?" I ask.