𝟷𝟺. 𝚍𝚎𝚊𝚛 𝚞𝚗𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚎

Start from the beginning

His faint laughter slowly diminishes into nothing, and his perfectly structured face sets itself back into its standard grave expression. Looking at him, you already find yourself missing his laughter.

"Jesus fuck. You're so damn annoying, Y/N, you know that?" Jean exhales sharply, his lips now set stagnant and firm. "This is exactly why I'm taking the couch."

"Is that the real reason, or do you just not trust yourself enough that you'll be able to keep your hands off me?" You tease him, twisting one of the strings to the sweatshirt around your index finger around and around. "Do I tempt you that much?"

A noise erupts from the back of Jean's throat, which signifies that he's fed up. "Look at you, feeding into your own little ego."

You let the string of his baseball sweatshirt fall back into place on your chest, your hand settling down into your lap. "Yeah, and who do you think I learned it from?" 

Jean's pink lips twitch as he turns away from you. He looks like he could laugh again, but he fights it off before it can rip through. "Fuck," he mumbles deeply under his breath as the center of his palm runs down his sharp, scruffed jawline before dropping down into his lap. "You know, I've never met someone before who ruins my highs as much as you do."

You adjust yourself in your seat. "If that's true, then why do you like smoking with me so much?"

His focus remains straight ahead, looking at something far off in the distance. "You just somehow happen to be around me whenever I wanna get high," he attempts to claim placidly.

"Lucky you." Tilting your head up to the sky, you see the clouds above begin to roll in, ridding the night of any clearness that once was. "Looks like the clouds are back."

Jean's head shifts upward to see what you do. Once his focus sets, his breath leaves his lungs in a spiral. "Never fails."

The two of you watch the thick dark clouds as they float in toward the city of Paradis for a few beats, and then he says, "We should probably head in before the rain starts. I mean... unless you like getting wet."

Your chest shakes with soft laughter, your eyes shifting from the clouds over to him. "I do, just not in a way that's caused by rain."

This gets his attention. His head snaps to you desperately quick, and he meets your gaze, lips pressed tightly together. "No? Caused by what then?"

You bat your eyes, "women."

Jean's tongue clicks against the roof of his mouth. "I guess I should have seen that one coming." He gathers his RAW tray full of papers and the other items from your small smoke session. "Did you have shit weather like this in Stohess?" He asks as he stands.

"No. Stohess isn't anything like it is here." With your hands pressed into the cold metal arms of the chair, you push yourself to your feet, "from the weather to the people, it's all just sort of... different."

He steps around you. "Do you mean that in a good way or bad?"

You could almost laugh at his question. "Definitely in a good way. The difference is night and day, honestly. You'll see what I mean tomorrow. Stohess is just a shithole where everything that can go bad somehow goes worse."

"Sounds like shit," Jean says plainly as he steps through the sliding glassdoor back into his room, and you follow in after. "No wonder you don't wanna go back."

Yeah. You have no fucking idea.

Jean puts all of his belongings back into their correct place, and the two of you make your way into the central area of his apartment to clean up the table where you had spent the previous hours studying.