Chapter 10: A lord's speech

The next morning, Taker wakes up in his bed, he sits down and rubs his face having slept very badly that night. Today, he will have to bury his dead, he still has a feeling of remorse in his veins, guilty of not having been able to protect his people. He cleans himself before putting on his mourning clothes, a black sleeveless jacket, black silk pants, his black leather boots and he adds a purple band on his right bicep.

Before going out for the funeral, he goes to see Markus in the great hall to see if he survived the night. He enters and immediately closes, he looks around him then the ceiling. He could see Markus descending from the ceiling using his web, a rare smile on Taker's face. Very happy to see that his friend is well. "How are you Markus?" Taker asked his creature as he walked around his creature, checking his bandages being careful not to step on his two broken legs. Markus can walk but barely. thought Taker seeing his creature walking. "What happened?" Taker asked his creature wanting to know if Markus had just fallen or was below when the tower collapsed. Taker frowned when his creature kept telling him: Dangerous red creature, I beat on the roof tower then I fell.

So Markus fought on the roof of the tower against an enemy spider and took him down. Taker thought. Is it the spider that joined the red-eyed man?

~!~

Taker leaves the great hall after feeding Markus, he leaves the fortress following the others closely, the bodies are carried on carts, flowers, food and Taker's symbol will be burned with them. The dead are all in war gear to keep fighting in the skies, continuing to protect Calaway's name. They all arrive at the Great Lakes where they burn their dead after the ceremony. The dead are put in a large raft except Frish's since he was only a human, they took him with them not knowing what Taker would like to do with him. Taker walks towards the rafts while the others stand in the distance watching the ceremony.

"Gentlemen, you gave your life for Araneolus Shire, you gave your lives as a sacrifice and I am grateful for that. I hope to join you to fight in the heavens, I will avenge your deaths. " Taker said as he walked from left to right looking at his dead soldiers and creatures. He frowned when he realized that a body was missing, he looked behind him a little further and saw Frish's body still in the cart next to the blonde girl. "I would also like to make a special mention to a man who did not hesitate to sacrifice himself for my honor. Certainly, he was only a human..." Continued Taker walking towards the cart where there is the body of Frish, he looked at Diana who had her head down, her eyes closed, silent tears streaming down her cheeks.

"...He showed a lot of coolness and courage. Another proof that humans can be brave and not weak like my father said.." He added looking at his many soldiers, the villagers , children and creatures. Diana finally looks at Taker, smiles at his words. "...Don't forget that ordinary humans like him and like some of you are like us, mages, except don't have the ability to understand creatures." He said before looking at Frish's face, then looked the girl and takes her hand, shocking everyone even Diana how Taker's hand can be both cold and gentle. "Your dad was brave, a true warrior and kind of thanks to him giving you tips on how to heal deep wounds which saved Markus. I want Frish to have the honor of having the same funeral as my men." Said Taker looking at Diana, she looked at her father's body, the tears don't stop flowing. "I..I think my father would be honored." She finally said with difficulty between sniffles. Taker bowed and then personally took the cart, he took Frish's body and then placed it gently between two bodies of his soldiers.

"I would like no one to forget this human who sacrificed himself so that Araneolus Shire survived." Said Taker getting up and looking dangerously at his people. "You could pass one last time to say see you soon to the soldiers. We will pass at the end of the ceremony." He said before getting next to his mother who was standing near a rock, looking at the people in single file who pass each in turn to say goodbyes one last time.

"That was a nice speech what you did son." She says to her stone-faced son, she's proud that her son isn't like Lucius, he's open-minded despite his reputation. "Frish deserves to be honored mum.." He said looking at his people slowly advancing towards the raft, he looks at Diana who is stroking her father's hair crying. "He asked me to take care of his daughter." He confessed to his mother the last words he said, she looked at her son who was looking down at the grass under his feet. "Despite knowing my story and probably my curse, he asked me.. but I don't know how to go about it.." He continued to confess, Betty looks at the girl next door of Frish's body then looks at his son again. "You are a man of your word Mark..protect her like he protected me." She said to her son.

~!~

When all of Taker's people are done saying goodbye to the dead, Taker and Betty approach the rafts and then bow in their honor. Everyone including Taker and Betty got down on one knee, had a few minutes of silence in their memory as the rafts moved away. A soldier shouts to the archers to prepare to fire arrows ignited before Taker gestures to fire. The flaming arrows hit the rafts and the rafts begin to catch fire as everyone watches in silence. Cries, sniffles, the flames are only heard if not no words to interrupt the ceremony.