Vol 1 - Prologue: Freedom

1st of April

Overlooking the nearby town from a point of high elevation, there exists a large mansion. It is the property of Professor Ayanokouji. I had only stayed here for one short year, but today I am leaving to attend the Tokyo Metropolitan Advanced Nurturing High School, ANHS.

"What a beautiful day, it really sets the mood for a sentimental departure."

I stood at the entrance of the mansion, the voice coming from behind me belonged to a man in his 60s. He was dressed in a fine tuxedo, he's someone I would describe as the perfect butler.

No, that description alone doesn't do him justice, he always goes above and beyond in fulfilling his role. It should come as no surprise that he landed this well-paid job.

He was even able to take on this laborious work while supporting his teenage son as a single father, I have nothing but respect for him.

I looked out to the excessively expensive automatic gates. They were opening slowly, granting access to the expansive world beyond the confines of the mansion.

"Thank you for everything, Matsuo. I will be forever indebted to you."

I had absolutely no idea how to repay the debt I owed to this man, he has given me the chance of a lifetime, yet all I can do in return is voice my gratitude.

Honestly, even now I found it hard to believe such a selfless person could exist.

I was about to start walking on the path to the bus stop, but was swiftly brought to a halt by his next words as soon as my heel had separated from the concrete.

He wanted to leave behind some parting words, as this was almost certainly the last time we'll ever see each other. He spoke with a gentle smile, resolve evident in his voice.

"There is no need to worry about repaying me, Kiyotaka-sama, I am simply acting according to my own beliefs. Now, be sure to enjoy your time in that school. It would be real shame if you were late on your first day."

Still facing the gates, I paused for a moment before speaking.

"Matsuo, I know I've already asked you this before, but are you sure you want to do this? This is your last chance to turn back. Even if you do, I wouldn't condemn you for it."

Even if he felt he needed to do this out of moral obligation, that didn't mean his only choice was to become a martyr.

All he had to do was prioritize himself.

"I'm sure, I already made my decision months ago."

I glanced back and looked directly into his eyes. Even with my unchanging face, he observed that I was serious right now, rather than apathetic.

"...You'll die."

Normally, a person would be dreading such an outcome, even if they were already resigned to the ending they had chosen. But Matsuo didn't even flinch at my brutal reality check.

It seems there was no need to test him, even though I already knew what his answer would be.

He was a truly good-natured person. At this stage, he did not fear even death. He had every intention of dying for my sake, so that I could be free from that man.

I could never imagine myself having the resolve to die for someone, what an incredible man.

"I already know that, if you want to repay me then I'd advise you to make the most of those three years while they last."

"Matsuo, I will make the most out of my time there... but I'd like to correct you about one thing."

Up until now, I hadn't told him my main reason for taking this chance. I had no intention of sitting still for three years, waiting for my time to come like some death row inmate.

"And what would that be?"

"I won't settle for just three years."

The meaning behind my words was clear, from my peripherals I saw his signature smile was brighter than ever.

"Farewell, Kiyotaka-sama."

"Goodbye, Matsuo."

I faced forwards again and continued walking ahead without ever looking back, I reflected on the year I had spent in his care.

The walk was rather pleasant, something I'd never get to experience back in that place.

As I made my way to the bus stop, I took in every detail of my surroundings, indulging in anything that stimulated my 5 senses.

Even though this information wouldn't be especially useful to me, I still wanted to preserve this moment for a long time into the future.

Because today I've taken my first step towards freedom.

{End of Volume 1: Prologue}

739 words

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N

This is my first fanfic ever, don't know if it will be good or not but might as well try. Criticism is always welcome.

After writing the first part of my first story I've realized how damn long this stuff takes to write, plan, and refine. And this prologue was only about 700 words.
It's very easy to see why most fanfics don't make it very far, and by assigning Kiyotaka to a different class I'm already making things harder for myself as I won't have any foundation to work from for a lot of the scenes.
It's a huge commitment. I really respect anyone who can handle it.

I've made Kiyotaka a fair bit OOC here, he's willing to go against the white room from the beginning and is not obsessed with normality like his canon self.

I've already planned out volume 1. And I have a rough idea of what I want to do for volumes 2 and 4. I'm excited to get to the special exams, so volume 2 will most likely be shorter than volume 1.