Chapter 37

Demetria kept running until she was in the garden. She collapsed to her knees and brought her hand to her face. Her silent sobs racked her whole body, the cold causing the shaking to become more and more violent. Soon her tears stopped rolling down her face, and only rain ran down her face. Her clothes were soaked and her hair was dripping wet. She sniffled softly, unmoving from her spot in the middle of the garden. The rain was still pounding down on her and around her. Lightning struck an area that didn't seem to be all too far away from Phantomhive manor.    

Miss. Demetria! You must come inside! You'll catch a cold!" Mey-Rin called running over with an umbrella. Demetria sighed softly and nodded, slowly standing up. Suddenly, everything seemed to go in slow motion. Mey-Rin was still running towards Demetria, but now she was screaming for Demetria to move quickly. Demetria looked slightly confused-that was before the bright white light filled her entire field of vision. A painful shock filled her whole body, her heart was going into overdrive, thudding harder and harder. She stopped breathing as it seemed that the oxygen around her evaporated, leaving nothing behind. Demetria let out a pained scream and collapsed to the ground, her eyes wide open, her body limp.    

Mey-Rin's eyes were wide. She ran over to Demetria and felt for a pulse. When there was no pulse, her eyes filled with tears.    

"Why her? Why her? She was so young... Why God? Why?!" Mey-Rin demanded, looking up at the sky despite the pounding rain. Rage filled her chest as the fate of poor, young Demetria hit her hard. She shook with anger before calming down, knowing Demetria wouldn't want her to be so upset. Sadness overwhelmed her and she quickly wiped away tears off her face and pulled Demetria's closer to her, shielding her body from the rain. Her pulse might have stopped, but the heat had yet to leave her body. Mey-Rin sniffled softly and held the umbrella over both of them.    

 "Oi! Mey-rin, What's taking so long?" Bard called, running over, holding an umbrella. As he approached he slowed down slightly, seeing Demetria's limp body. "What happened?" He asked, the cigarette falling from his mouth. He squashed the cigarette under his foot.    

 "She was struck by lightening... I... I couldn't find a pulse." Mey-Rin started to cry again, the tears were much more thicker this time. "I tried to tell her to move, I yelled it at her, but before she could... the lightning struck..." Mey-Rin choked up towards the end of the sentence. "First... first Mr.Sebastian now...  Miss.Demetria..." Bard said softly, kneeling down by Mey-Rin. "We... we should get her inside before the rain can do any real damage to her body." He placed a small hand on Mey-Rin's shoulder.    

"I can't carry her...." Mey-Rin's voice came out as a whisper.    

 "Here." Bard handed Mey-Rin his umbrella, and gathered Demetria up into his arms, holding her gently close to his chest. Bard stood up. Mey-Rin stood up after him, and held both of the umbrellas, following Bard inside.   

Finny approached them, a happy smile on his face. That smile soon faded the moment he saw Demetria, pale and unmoving in Bard's arms.    

 "What happened?" He asked quietly, moving closer to get a better look at Demetria.    

"She was struck by lightning..." Mey-Rin whispered, putting both of the umbrella's back, folding them back into their original shape.    

Finny gasped slightly and moved his hand to touch Demetria's face. He gently touched her cheek and soon the tears started to roll down his face. The tears were salty on his face, and he wished oh so dearly that they would stop, but he couldn't make himself stop crying. Demetria was his best friend, but now... now she was gone.     "Hey... At least she'll be with Mr.Sebastian." Bard said softly, walking farther into the room.    

Mey-Rin nodded. "Yes... She'll be with the love of her life, right Finny?" Finny nodded and wiped away the tears. "Where's Mr.Jeremy?" She asked, realizing that the man was no longer in the kitchen, and his coat was gone too.    

"Mr.Jeremy finished cooking, so he went back up to eat.... should we... should we tell Young Master?" Finny asked quietly, looking up at Bard.    

 "Later... when... when we can get him alone. The other guests don't need to know." Bard said. But for now, we'll leave her in here." Bard gently laid Demetria down on the table. "It should be cold enough in here." Everyone nodded and left the room-but not before saying goodbye to Demetria's unmoving frame.         —————————————————————————————————————-

    It was about a week later, and it was time for Sebastian and Demetria's funeral. Ciel had decided to have them together as they were in love. Everyone stood in front of the graves, mourning the loss of two of their dearest friends. When everyone was about to leave, one of the bells started to ring.    

 "It's the first time I've heard one of the bells ring." Undertaker mused. "Well, you might want to hurry and get him out."        

 "Finny! Bard!" Ciel commanded.    

Both Finny and Bard went to work and hand the coffin dug up in no time.    

 "Glad we went with the safety one, eh?" Undertaker said, standing next to Ciel.    

 Ciel simply rolled his eyes and watched as Finny and Bard pulled the lid off the coffin up. Sebastian sat up and acted a little dazed, he was about to say something when everyone dog piled on top of him. Meanwhile, Undertaker laughed and Ciel watched with his ever hardening eyes.    

When everyone had gotten off of Sebastian, he climbed out of the coffin and stood next to Ciel.    

Tanaka walked over to Sebastian and put the head butler pin on Sebastian. "I believe this belongs more with you, then I." Tanaka went to walk away before stopping. "A Phantomhive butler may not walk before their master." He said to Sebastian. Tanaka smiled slightly before walking off.     Sebastian looked over at his grave. "I'm glad to be out of there." He said, his eyes wandering over to Demetria's grave. He frowned deeply, a sudden sorrow striking at him. "She really is dead... isn't she?"    

 Ciel sighed softly and nodded. "I'm sorry Sebastian, but she is." Ciel's face when sad for a small moment. "I really liked her. She was nice, Sort of like my mother was." He shook off the thought before turning back to Sebastian, a hard look on his face.    

"You will not let this affect your duties, Sebastian. You are still my butler."    

Sebastian sighed softly and nodded, getting down on one knee. He placed a hand over his unbeating heart and looked up at Ciel. "I will protect you with my every being, until one day, that becomes truth." His words spoke truth, but his mind was not focusing on the words. His mind was only focusing on how the thought that Demetria was no longer with him. She was gone. Demetria was dead, and he couldn't help but feel as if it was his fault.