Chapter 36

After defeating the remaining goblins, the survivors return to the stronghold. Some of the dragons are worried about the sibo men and wolves coming in to live there, and think that Paku and Ziva's actions might have put them in danger by leading Cithior to them. But the other dragons assure them otherwise; even though some people lost their lives during the battle, others survived thanks to the heroes' efforts. In fact, once word spreads of what happened today, more than half the sibos decide to stay in order to protect the place better.

"I'm glad you came to help out Bithor." Paku tells the blue dragon. "We might not have won if you hadn't."

Bithor smiles. "You did well too, young dragons." he felt like a proud father despite none of them being his own kids.

"So this is the sacred city the poems talk of?" a sibo man asks. "I didn't think it was home to dragons."

Another sibo man chimes in. "No, no. That's just another myth told by the poets. This is where the real dragons dwell! And I am sure they would agree with me."

"Dragon home or man home, I care not. As long as it's safe." a wolf tells the two, ending the debate.

"This place looks a lot nicer with more people in it." Paku tells Ziva. "There were so many places without anyone living there...and now look, everyone has decided to move in."

"Yes, we should make ourselves comfortable until night falls again," Ziva agrees.

"How about we cuddle under some blankets?" Paku suggests.

"...Okay then, why not? You're right, this feels nice." Ziva replies. She snuggles close to her lover Paku. "And I feel safer knowing my friends are around me."

They spend the rest of the day together, sleeping beneath warm blankets and eating plenty of food cooked over hot coals. As the others celebrate the victory and the reunion of sibo men, wolves, and dragons, Ziva and Paku get closer to each other, sharing kisses and caresses. Their relationship grows stronger every hour they spent together.

When evening comes, they all gather for dinner, enjoying roasted meat and vegetables along side good wine. Once finished, Ziva decides to go outside alone and enjoy the fresh arctic air. She exhales, her breath coming out in a misty cloud. A couple snowflakes drift through the sky. Her mind wanders back to when she left her home in the redwoods, scared and unsure of herself. Now she knows exactly how important family can be.

She returns inside, finding Paku and Patch talking quietly near one of the walls. "How is it out there?" they ask.

"Cold, and quiet." Ziva answers. "It's amazing seeing something new."

Patch nods. "Me too. We never really explored much beyond the forest." He turns toward Ziva. "Do you want to come explore with us tomorrow morning?"

"Sure, why not." Ziva responds, smiling to Paku. "Now that we can go outside again, it would be nice to go look around the tundra with my two best friends."

"Well, let's hope nothing else tries to attack us on our first exploration trip!" Patch jokes.

"Let's keep an eye out anyway," Paku says seriously. They both laugh, as they eventually join the crowd of happy sibo men, wolves, and dragons, in conversation and festivities.