Chapter 17

Paku wakes up, looking around the room he was taken to. The battle had taken its toll on him, as he winced, noticing some bandaged wounds on his body. "Ziva..." he calls out weakly, still exhausted from the battle.

The red dragoness looks at Paku with her green eyes. "Paku..." she says, touching his arm gently.

"You're alive... Thank goodness," Paku says, as he sits up slowly, feeling dizzy. "Did we do it?"

"We did... we did it Paku." Ziva smiles, as she looks at Paku.

"Oh boy, I thought you two were goners!" Patch says. "Now I just realize you were lazy."

"Very funny Patch." Paku says sarcastically.

"Anyway, you're going to need to rest, and recover your strength before we return home." Patch says, as he stands up and walks over to Paku. "That's what Elvis said."

"Ellis, not Elvis." the lead ranger says, correcting Patch. "You dragons were not lying. The rangers of Gadiros are forever in your debt." Ellis, the lead ranger, explains.

"Anyways, you dragons need rest. We will help you in any way we can." with that, Ellis leaves the room.

Paku lies down on the bed he was given, cuddling up next to Ziva. "Guess we'll have to heal together huh?"

"Mmm." Ziva says, closing her eyes.

Paku closes his eyes and lets himself relax, letting the healing magic flow through him, taking away the pain of his injuries. He feels better than he has felt since the day of the battle, and falls asleep, Ziva close.

"Love birds." Patch jokes.

"Shut up." Ziva says playfully, not against the idea at all.

Paku wakes up after a while, hearing Ziva's voice. "Hey, how do you feel?"

"I'm good." Paku replies, sitting up and stretching his legs. "How about you?"

"I'm better." Ziva responds. "I'll be back to my former self before long."

"Good. Let's go downstairs, I think there's something important we should know."

Ziva nods, and they leave the room. They walk through the hallway, and see the lead ranger Ellis talking quietly with a man who resembles a royal.

"The dragons Ellis, do you think they can really fix all this?" the jarl asks.

"I am certain of it. They helped the rangers in the battle. If not for them, we would be dead." Ellis replies with confidence.

"So, you say that these dragons are powerful enough to defeat the Horde?" the jarl asks.

"Yes sir. That's why I brought them here." Ellis answers, as the jarl turns to face Ziva and Paku.

"So this must be Ziva and Paku, the two young dragons I have heard so much about." the jarl muses. "I hope our doctors did well with the two of you."

"They did." Ziva says, smiling at the jarl. "Thank you for helping us."

"It was nothing." the jarl replies. "And now, if you don't mind, I'd like to talk with these dragons privately."

Ellis nods, leaving the room. Ziva and Paku look at the jarl.

"What is it you want to ask us?" Paku questions.

"Can you really defeat the Horde?" the jarl asks. "Ellis always was one for optimism."

"Defeat them? No, we won't be able to defeat them. Not without the help of other dragons." Paku says.

"That combined attack we used in the battle nearly killed us. It took a lot of energy to perform." Ziva explains. "But yes, we will be able to do more once we get stronger."