Chapter 20

The sun rises over the land, as the three young dragons wake up and prepare for the day ahead. "Good morning heroes." the jarl says greeting the three. "Sleep well?"

"Yeah, thanks." Paku replies. "Do you know where we are headed today?"

"I'm afraid not. I've given orders to scout the areas surrounding the town. Hopefully, we'll find good positions for the upcoming fight." the jarl explains. "But first, breakfast!"

"I'm starving." Patch says as a good breakfast of sweet rolls, pancakes, and milk are brought down for the group to eat.

"These are delicious." Ziva says, taking a big bite of pancake.

After they finish eating, the group heads out to the front of the longhouse, where there is a large wooden wagon waiting for them. The jarl helps them climb onto the wagon, and straps them in.

"Buckley, take us to rock point." he tells the wagon driver, who begins to drive them there.

"This is the an overlooking area for our village. Ziva, Paku, you two should be able to use the high point to fly over the battlefield and use your fire and lightning powers to take out as many enemies as possible." the jarl plans.

"Got it." Paku responds. "What of the rangers?"

"I will lead anyone able to fight from the north end, that way we don't end up in the crossfire. We will attack the rear of the orc and goblin horde while the two of you raise havoc from the skies." the jarl explains.

"Sounds good." Paku replies.

"Okay, now that we have our plan, let's get moving." the jarl says. "We don't want to waste any more time than we already have."

As the wagon starts to roll, going up a rocky hill until they reach a small cliff overlooking the town from afar, roughly a hundred or so feet from the ground.

"Here you shall position, along with some of our finest archers." the jarl explains. "When the signal beacon is lit, you will begin your flight, and the rest of us our charge."

"Are you sure this is the best place?" Paku asks. "We might get shot down by the enemy."

"It is the only place I could think of that would give you a clear view of the battlefield without being too close to the battle." the jarl replies. "And besides, I'm sure you'll be fine."

After they scout this area out, the group return to the village, where the last rangers of the town remain. There's only around twenty left, as they bow down to the jarl.

"Rise." the jarl says.

"Where is Ellis?" Paku questions.

"He never returned after yesterday. Still searching for our lost comrades I believe." one of the rangers responds. "But I do not fear, we will stand together against these monsters."

"I hope you are right." Paku says. "We're going to need all the help we can get."

"All right, I want everyone to form up into groups. Each group will be led by a ranger. Paku, Ziva, go with Julius the sharpshot to the cliff."

That is when hooves can be heard, as Ellis rides into town, with him two wounded rangers.

"Thank god you have returned!" says the jarl. "Is the other kingdom coming?"

"I'm afraid not sir. We're on our own." Ellis says.

Paku feels his stomach sink at hearing this. No reinforcements were coming, and an attack was imminent. "How bad are their numbers?" he asks.

"A lot." Ellis answers. "They came with a huge army. More than a hundred, maybe even two."

"Damn..." Paku mutters under his breath.

"So, what happened to the others?" the jarl asks.

"I found them being taken captive. We're on our own." Ellis says.

Paku sighs, as he looks to Patch and Ziva. "We must remain strong." he tells them to encourage them.

"Don't worry Paku. We're with you buddy." Patch tells his brother.

"We will not fail you." Ziva adds.

"Alright, let's get ready to move out." the jarl says. "Julius, head back to the cliff with the dragons! The rest of you, with me."

The rangers follows the jarl as they mount horses and ride to the fields of the north. Ellis looks back at Paku. "Good luck Paku, Ziva, Patch. I hope to see you after this is all said and done." With that, Ellis joins the main host of rangers.

"Me too." Paku says, as he turns to his friends. "To the cliff!"